Re: Hunter Gods & Peaceful Cut

From: Marc Willner <marc24_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 20:17:34 -0800

> Subject: Hunter gods
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've reread the hunter cult write-up in Questlines and have therefore
> some questions :
> 1. Is it true that hunter cultist aren't allowed to kill their pray in
> order to use their Peaceful Cut to kill them instead ?
> 2. The Peaceful Cut is a ceremony where the hunter kills the animal and
> sends its soul to the beastmother, right ?
> 3. Hunters aren't allowed to use traps because the animals would be dead
> before he could use his Peaceful Cut ?
> 4. Hunter gods dislike/hate cultists who let animals unnecessary feel
> pain ?
> 5. There are no hunters who hunt for fur alone because the meat musn't
> be wasted ?
>
> bye, Thomas
>
> Visit Telmori's Forest :
> http://home.t-online.de/home/Telmori/telmori.htm
> "Historians from England will say I'm a liar, but history is written by
> those who've hanged heroes." Robert the Bruce

I can't see Hunter Cults teaching Peaceful Cut. Peaceful Cut is a skill/ceremony that requires the butcher to get up close to a living animal; this works with domesticated animals like the Praxian herds, but would be more difficult with a wild animal like a deer.

Hunter cults probaly teach a skill/ceremony to put the hunter in harmony with the prey, so it can be found more easily, one to increase the chances of a quick kill, so the prey doesn't suffer, and one to apologize to the prey and put the hunter into harmony with the prey's spirit.

Tony Hillerman, in one of his Navajo detective novels, quotes a (possibly apochryhphal) hunting prayer (to the Black God if I remember). If I can find it I may quote it (it's pretty short) as an example.

Marc Willner

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #457