Peaceful Cut

From: Hugh McVicker <hugh_at_mbcmr.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 17:36:35 +0100

As a hunter (in Glorantha) I see Peaceful Cut (and Food Song for that matter) as apologizing for / negating the bad effects of the interference of the man rune (that's us) in animal (or plant) business. This is why animals don't have to cast it on each other.

Everyone knows that a creatures spirit hangs around the body for some time after death otherwise the White Ladys couldn't bring rich people back to life. So long as I preform the ceremony on the animal before a week is out, off its spirit goes, happy to have been of service.

The apprentice to our Lawspeaker asked me that 'if a creatures spirit needs the cut to be reborn how come all the forigners who don't use it havn't used up all the spirits'. I think he was testing me because the answer is obvious. Every Year at HHD we preform the major Peace Cut ritual to free all the spirits caught in agony since their death. This also makes me feel a little better cos I know I'm not that good at the ritual and I would hate any animal to be in torment longer than necessary.

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #458