Ants and food

From: Klyfix_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 05:35:09 -0400 (EDT)

Benedict Adamson noted...

> The absolute maximum size is reached when the
> energy (etc.) gained from a foraging trip exactly equals the energy (etc.)
> consumed on that trip. The gain from each trip would be about equal,
> wheras the comsumption would increase at least linearly with the distance.
>
> Do ants travel at night? If not, the maximum foraging radius would be half
> day's walk.

      Assuming that the ants are only foragers; some varieties of RW ants grow fungus and others "milk" aphids. Fungus growing ants shouldn't be much of a problem for Glorantha. As to the aphids, well, we'd need giant aphids and giant plants for them to feed on. Perhaps there's another sort of giant insect that produces honeydew (right term?) like aphids but has a more practical diet.

V.S. Greene : klyfix_at_aol.com : Boston, near Arkham...