Elf lovers fight back (ouch!)

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 01:28:39 -0800

Arthur replies (fairly grumpily, but quite understandably)
>> And I'm sorry, but to me, to assume that there are any elves left
>>in an area called 'the Troll Woods' where trolls have lived for well over a
>>thousand years violates common sense.
>
>One word: Iceland

        I fear, sir, you may have to use slightly more than one word. Not wishing to offend, but as there are no hostile intelligent races coexisting in the same ecosystem in Iceland, you might need to explain a little further what you mean.

> I have been actively running a game in the Troll Wood for seven months
>now. My group has found my material to be mythically resonant and playble.
>I have used every available source and have written within the bounds of
>opinions and advice from those on the digest who engaged the material with
>me. (frex: recent digest 271-276)

        Good for you. I'm sure your game is enjoyable. Your game being enjoyable and mythically resonant for you and your group does not mean that anyone else is compelled to find it mythically resonant and correct, though - - for me, your ideas are nice but resonate slightly off-key. I think your ideas are interesting, and parts of them are clever, and parts of them are flawed. It also seems obvious that your initial small suggestion was the tip of an iceberg of your version of Kitori myth. Sure, I'd believe in the elves of the Troll Woods if I also believed in the Ernalda worshipping trolls of the Troll Woods, thought that trolls would destroy all woods if left unchecked, etc. As I don't think Ernalda worship is big amongst the Troll Wood trolls, nor do I think of trolls as ecological monsters (I thought the reason trolls lived in wastelands was mostly being pushed out by faster breeding humans, not because they created the wastelands), I find your argument less compelling than you do.

>> I'm probably going to be putting a fair bit of effort into the
>>Kitori in the near future, with an aim towards publication somewhere.
>
> Are you trying to pander to me?

        No, I am trying to pander to me. I've always had an interest in the Kitori, and have seen the same debates about them come up multiple times on the digest. It seemed obvious that someone should try and assemble the various opinions on the Kitori and prepare it for publication, and it might as well be me. I had decided to do so before this debate started, and discussed it with a couple of people on my recent travels. I would be doing so if I had never heard of you. Promise.

>Your response to the complexity of a
>human and troll social dynamic united under one tribe indicates that you
>have nothing to add to the Kitori debate as of yet.

        That I disagree with your ideas does not mean I have nothing to add, and I am astounded that you would say so - politeness aside, dismissing out of hand the ideas of those you disagree with on the basis of a couple of messages is hardly conducive to debate. If you can not accept sometimes harshly expressed criticism, then use this digest with caution. I did not attempt to set out my ideas in detail, because I was trying to address the main point - I'm sorry if you took that to imply I had no other ideas about the Kitori. I have been deliberately avoiding setting out ideas on the Kitori mostly because they have been discussed at length many times in the past, and I wanted to avoid a repeat of discussion that I (and many other long term digest residents) have seen several times. I in fact felt so strongly on the issue precisely because I've thought about them quite a bit. If you are interested in my ideas, why not ask?

>Carolyn is
>bored and so am I.

        Certainly, it has become clear that the issues are larger, and perhaps unresolvable, and this debate is not productive. I will continue to work on the Kitori, and you are welcome (indeed, encouraged) to contribute to what I hope will be a group effort - but bear in mind that people may <gasp> disagree with you occasionally....

        Yours sincerely

                David