Kitoring away...

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 97 19:14 MET DST

David Cake
> I'm afraid this is mostly bluster in the ongoing Kitori/elf
>argument. Sorry folks, leap to the end if you're not interested.

That advice still is valid.

> Now, in Dagori Inkarth maybe, were there are occasional trollkin
>population explosions rampaging across the land eating everything. But I
>don't think there are piles of wild food trollkin in Kitori lands. Maybe
>the Kitori practice population control on their trollkin?

In my Heortland campaign, there are regular troubles with larger incursions of starved trollkin, enough so that the main Aeolian cathedral of Jansholm is called St. Elmals and that a minor noble some distance from the Woods entertains a Sun Dome Templar follower as advisor and trainer for anti-troll tactics in Jaransbyrig, a market town southwest of Jansholm where my campaign was centred.

>Quite probably
>their trollkin are on the whole more civilised (due to the predominance of
>the trollkin friendly Argan Argar cult).

I suppose another use of them would be against the lesser spawn of the Queendom of Jab, along the ridges of the Footprint. Even the Zorak Zoranis will see the wisdom in having trained spear-trollkin taking the first wave of scorpionspawn...

> I don't think the inhabitants of the Troll Woods are herders much,
>though quite a few hunter/gatherers.

IMO the human Kitori herd pigs and eat roots, among other things.

>A lot of the Kitori human clans live
>outside the troll woods, and have fields like everyone else.

At least they occupy the clearings in the woods.

>Someone who claims to be James, curiously pro-elf (what have you done with
>the real James?)
>>Are ZZites banned from Kitori lands?

Highly unlikely, given the fact that the Kitori founder worshipped some kind of ZZ.

Also, Black Arkat might be available to trolls and humans in the Troll Woods, which usually s an ally of ZZ.

> As Carolyn requested, my official sources on the Kitori are mostly
>Troll pak and the 'Another Argrath' story in KOS. The Broken Council
>Guidebook is the source for early history. There is also stuff in RQA#4,
>but I disagree with most of it.

I regret to say that I too disagree with quite a lot of the RuneQuest Adventures magazine issue 4. (Is there a canonical list of Glorantha source (and other) abbreviations?) However, since the scenarios are the usual great quality, I came to regard the Etori clan which features for Whitewall in RQA #4 as the most Orlanthi clan of the tribe, leaving the other clans to pursue more trollish cults more actively. There is no real reason why any Orlanthi tribe should be homogeneous in its clan cults...

Since Whitewall is an ancient centre of power for the cult of Orlanth, I suppose that any ruling clan of Whitewall would have made his cult a major cult of the clan.

> Kitori religion - I think they definately worship Argan Argar the
>ruler god. I won't bore people with the reasons why,

Fine, then I can do so. Argan Argar is quite useful as a ruling cult anywhere near the Shadow Plateau, and he figures as the most recent ruling god who wed Esrola, the Land Goddess. As his cult is acceptable to humans and trolls, he is ideal for the Kitori. Orlanth still provides a good part of the culture, but that is true for the Yelmalian Aldachuri as well. IMO his importance is mainly centered upon Whitewall.