Re: "Smart" Arrows

From: Peter Linton Tracy <937058_at_bud.cc.swin.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 11:01:50 +1000 (EST)

I like the idea a lot, but why not take it further...

imagine a very small thin initiate of the "Arrow" subcult of Aldrya hurtling towards you, mindlinked to the Elf that fired it... And the arrow can cast its OWN arrow magic...

or one step further...

The runner scout, sneaking through the undergrowth towards the Troll camp, mindlinked to his elf-allies, providing the service of forward observer for mindlinked arrows... I agreee arrow magic requires line of sight, but spotters are to good a potential to resist...

I don't think smart arrows should be sureshot though, takes out all the challenge and skill...

The idea of elf-arrows having spirits like elf-bows is nice, the elf casting a large mindspeech spell and a foood song before using them [the arrows will die in use :-( ] and gains access to the 1-2 MP in each arrow for his own use [which basically recoups the MP he spent on Mindspeech and food-song]. This helps also in establishing the Alien-ness of the Aldryami and making them MGF tough.

Smart arrows are not common either, and damned difficult (mythically) to breed and harvest, particularly since the plants form the major food source for giant aphids!! ;-P

Peter Tracy