The price of failure

From: Carl Fink <carlf_at_panix.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 19:04:26 -0400

mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk (Michael Cule)

>I've had players who try to roll their Peaceful Cut (which must be under
>their Butchery skill or is it their Ceremony skill... Neither of which are
>very high) and fail.
>
>They then turn to me and say: "I've failed. Am I allowed to eat the meat?"
>
>Well?

Well, in my game, sure. How is it respectful to leave the corpse to rot?

However, the question in my mind is: how did they know they'd failed? Unless they have Second Sight, how do they know the animal's spirit is still present?

I really like the suggestion from a previous digest that the animal's spirit will now haunt either the bumbling hunter, or the spot, driving away other game until appeased. It wouldn't help to leave the corpse to rot, in this scenario -- but the hunter might want to give it to the local shaman in exchange for a quick exorcism. - --
Carl Fink carlf_at_panix.com

Remove AGIS from the backbone!

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #462