cutting yet peaceful remarks

From: Owen Jones <oj_at_maths.anu.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 14:24:29 +1000 (EST)

me:
> I agree that what happens to the spirits of animals killed without the
> Peaceful Cut needs to be resolved [...]

Alex:
> Well, I don't! I think this is very much a matter that different
> Gloranthan cultures will (probably heatedly) disagree on, so I think
> having one definitive answer would be altogether less interesting.

I was in fact thinking in terms of a single culture - the Balazarings of course - and their quest to understand the world about them. However, I think their beliefs will be tested when they come into contact with other cultures, e.g. the Lunars in Elkoi(?). When the Lunars go marching about the countryside killing without the peaceful cut, what happens? Are there lots of angry spirits about? Do they hinder Lunars when they are foraging? Do they in fact hinder the Balazaring hunters too?

On the other hand, I agree that Peaceful Cut as practised in Prax would not be recognised as Peaceful Cut in Balazar, though I think the purpose - calming and then freeing an animal spirit - is the same.

Finaly, a second thought on what happens to the spirits of animals in Balazar not released with the Peaceful Cut (and one with Biblical precendent). They inhabit the swine in the cities, explaining why said pigs are nasty, bad tempered beasts, unconcerned with their own hygene. Vengeful shamans have even been known to bind the spirits of unrepentent butchers to pigs, so they can share the torment.

Cheers

Owen Jones
Centre for Maths and its Applications, School of Math. Sciences Australian National University, ACT 0200 Ph +61 6 249 2897 (office) 249 4552 (direct) Fax +61 6 249 4675 Web page http://wwwmaths.anu.edu.au/~oj/