contemporary Elmal

From: Owen Jones <oj_at_maths.anu.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 16:00:38 +1000 (EST)

Many thanks to Davids Cake and Dunham and to Alex for responding to my queries on Elmal.

So, to get things to work, we have to have a host of suns or sun related gods, only one of whom is the actual Evil Emperor Yelm. Yelm has been in conflict with storm=Orlanth for some time, and summer represents the period in which he was ascendant. The winter sun (Elmal) however, is happy to help Orlanth by providing a little light, but not too much, and doesn't interfere with the lovely (i.e. awe inspiring in a terrifying sort of way) winter storms.

However, some Elmal loving Orlanthi, on meeting some Darra Happans, realise that they could improve their lot by switching to Yelm, or rather to one of his more human faces, Yelmalio (Yelm would have been too far beyond the pale). This leads to much strife in Orlanthi society, as these people have clearly abandoned Orlanth, which is resolved only by the Elmal subcult being practically wiped out, either by defections to Yelmalio, or by unjust persecution by other Orlanthi who can't help but link them to Yelmalio. The end result is a group of Yelmalians in Dragon Pass now quite divorced from their Orlanthi origins.

In practice then, I assume that Yelmalio is disliked, but tolerated because he's not the actual Evil Emperor, and because the Yelmalians can look after themselves fairly well? Any Orlanthi still worshiping Elmal (as an Orlanth subcult) will be doing so only out of very strong family tradition or similar. Presumably they must get something out of this, if only access to a family spirit or some such, as they still cop a lot of stick for their troubles.

On the other hand, Yelmish cults must hate Elmal with a passion, seeing him as a traitor. Would this mean the Dragon Pass Yelmalians are still viewed with a great deal of suspicion, due to their irregular origins? Once a traitor, always a traitor etc etc.

Regards who was in hell, Yelm or something else. I think it has to be Yelm, as this explains why he has to return to the underworld every night.

Owen Jones
Centre for Maths and its Applications, School of Math. Sciences Australian National University, ACT 0200 Ph +61 6 249 2897 (office) 249 4552 (direct) Fax +61 6 249 4675 Web page http://wwwmaths.anu.edu.au/~oj/