Confused? I was...

From: Paul Chapman <mercutio_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 18:58:03 +0100

Kevin Rose confuses me with his "Smart Arrows" posting:-
>I don't think that this seems like the appropriate way to make elven
>arrows more dangerous. Most Elves are going to be so damned good that
>they will hit nearly every time anyway, but deciding that they can go
>around corners, etc, seems too much.

Who is this addressed to? I don't think anybody _did_ decide this. In fact, all the postings I have seen on this seem to be against the idea of homing arrows. Kevin, you seem to be addressing someone by your grammatical structure, but there is nobody to address, surely?

>My thought would be that the appropriate sort of effect be achived with a
>biological method, not some sort of non-line-of-sight magic arrow stuff.
>The obvious ways to do this are to use really nasty toxins or biologically
>active agents (fungus or bacteria) that would cause the target to become
>dead, or eat his armor, break down his defensive magic, or do other nasty
>things.

Again, nobody has seriously suggested this. My main posting on the subject suggested a mythical explanation for magically grown arrows that produced just these sorts of effects. The problem with biological answers to things is that biology makes things too easy for Game/World balance if it can produce the sorts of effects that you describe above. Also, you are referring to mystical effects from your arrows (destroying defensive magic, etc), this is OK since biology and magic are closely interlinked in Glorantha but denies a truly biological viewpoint as we would understand it in the RW.

This sort of thing is best left to myth, I feel...

Paul.