Peaceful Cut.

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 22:57:31 GMT

Klyfix_at_aol.com said:

> Peaceful Cut, like Food Song, seems to me to so essential to life of
> the user that the skill (really shouldn't be a spell like in the GoG book)
> should be close to 100% for anybody other than a child or maybe an
> adolescent. IMHO and INMG of course.
>
> In the event of a failure, I'd suggest that they need to do some kind
> of penance; something not utterly trivial but not a heroquest either.

I agree with this (and heartily disagree that people wouldn't know when they have failed: well maybe on a fumble) but can't see a way to model this with RQ mechanics that isn't abusive. The only 'near-as-damnit-gaurenteed-to-work" thing in RQ is divine magic. And most hunters will be initiates without reusable Divine spells.

What's the solution? Hmmm, how about still requiring the Butchery skill roll (to tell how well the animal is prepared mundanely) but replacing the roll to see if the animal is prepared correctly with a simple spirit spell which can be boosted with Ceremony? Yes, and if the spell fails the caster may try again.

Unless they fumble in which case the animal has become ritually impure and must be abandoned lest its spirit haunt the hunter. ("No, you can't eat this pile of fresh meat we have just found abandoned.... It isn't safe.")

Wouldn't that work better?

Actor And Genius
AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop Of The Far Isles Medieval Society Arms Purpure An Open Book Proper: On the Dexter Page an Alpha Or On the Sinister an Omega Or. Motto Nulla Spes Sit in Resistendo (Resistance is Useless). Ask me about the Far Isles: Better Living through Pan-Medieval Anachronisms.