Smart Arrow stockpiling is(n't) on!

From: Paul Chapman <mercutio_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 20:03:08 +0100

James Frusetta disliking "Smart Arrows":-
>Drat. Paul Chapman's mythic explanation for Smart Arrows is good,
>suggesting the cursed things will be flying around. :(

Thank you, I'll take that as a compliment. I will develop this further soon.

><Trollkin Chaff Joke, RW weapons analogy>

I assume you're joking here, but in case you're not, the Smart Arrows don't really home in on one target, flying round corners and all that jazz. They are able to _slightly_ alter the course of their flight but this amounts to the Speedart effect, basically. I think anything that really homed like that would be ridiculous outside the bounds of a HeroQuest Gift.

The Accelerate Growth idea is a good one, apart form the fact that it doesn't work, for the entirely genuine reason that, as I noted, the arrows are the _fruit_ of the plant. Acelerate Growth ages the plant, it does _not_ cause it to bear fruit; that is obviously what the Flamali Bear Fruit spell is for (See Cults Book, p38). This _does_ work on the special Arrow bushes, but since Flamal was dead and fertility low when Arrows were born, there is always a very high chance that you will kill the precious bush in the process - 70%, as if it were always winter.

BTW, the elves _are_ stockpiling these arrows, which is why there are even fewer in circulation than one might expect already. But we are talking stockpiling on a small and slooooow scale here. The elves, as with practically all the cultures, have anticipated the Hero Wars (or a "great conflict" anyway) and in the patient, elven way are preparing for such.

Does that sound OK to everyone? Any comments?

Paul.