Tae kwon duck?

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 09:19:30 -0400 (EDT)

Stephen Martin wrote:
>I am a firm believer that the ducks [practice a type of martial arts] as
>well.

Ah yes, the dread "Ineffectual blows below the knees" style. ;)

Hmm. That beak at about waist level to a tall human -- I suppose head butts to the crotch are a mainstay of duck unarmed combat. Sneaky little quackers. Make great enemies in B-movie martial arts flicks -- c'mon, who wouldn't like to see dozens of evil ducks get pounded by Jacky Chan?

>Martial Arts (the skill) is NOT just what modern English associates with
>it, that is oriental-style of kicks and breaking boards with your hands.
AFAIK, martial arts "schools" are a fairly new innovation anyway. Probably had a lot less internal cohesion before they became sports/pastimes and began to spawn like crazy.

There probably is a style of trollish unarmed combat (which has come up on the Digest before), since they're physically different enough that human-style fighting might not always work. I actually do mean the stereotypical "martial arts" in referring to the Blue Moonies, though. Considering how much of their cult is dedicated to either misdirection or concealment, traditional trollish unarmed combat ("Rrrrrrrrarr!" <Chomp chomp bite chew>) seems a little against the grain. Flamboyent hand strikes and feints that catch your attention while the BM troll leans in and rips out your throat an instant later seems like more fun.

And more fun to think that BMT are really, really, really sneaky than that they rely on magic 100% of the time. Plenty of traditional ninjitsu tricks, suitably modified, could be applied for the Blue Moonies. All the better to appear fearsome and mysterious.