Humakti geasa

From: Thomas Gottschall <Telmori_at_t-online.de>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 1997 01:32:51 +0200

Hi everyone,

since my current character is a Humakti, I have some questions/suggestions.
BTW read Peter Michael's "Hearts of Humakt", excellent !

I think it was Nick Brooke who first said that a good Humakti not only has his geas but he tries to follow as many of them as he can. Thus as long as he could follow all he would benefit from all. Now in KoS p.142 Harsalter the Terrible, the son of Prince Salinarg dies because he broke his geas. Hm? I thought a while about it and finally I think that when you are initiated you receive one geas (perhaps more if you are extremly pious). This is your first and your most precious one. For example let's choose NEVER LIE. So you aren't allowed to lie. But what happens if you do it accidently ? It's very hard in the beginning to stop lieing, I know it because I played my Humakti. You certainly don't die(else there would be more dead Humakti who broke a geas than died in battle!). But I think Humakt reminds you (or your priest) not to lie again. So you train this some years until it becomes alien to you to lie. Now is the time to receive what I call a "death-geas". You swear an oath (the Humakti spell) that you will never lie again. I think this is a mass ceremony so the spell will kill you if you lie. It is now that you gain the full gift (perhaps you get even a better gift). Now you can choose the next one and start from the beginning. What do you think ? It is said that geasa are devices to make the worshipper more similar to the deity. If so, Humakt would be an ever-silent, non-armoured and honourous swordsman. But this makes the most pious Sword of Humakt absurd ! He would have to be silent all the time (though he knows many spells he musn't cast them ?!?) and he musn't wear any armour. Though he would be a superior fighter he would die because his enemies could use magic. I wonder how this thing _really_ works ?

bye, Thomas

Visit Telmori's Forest :
http://home.t-online.de/home/Telmori/telmori.htm "Historians from England will say I'm a liar, but history is written by those who've hanged heroes." Robert the Bruce