Faltikus the Good?

From: Michael O'Brien <mrmob_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 23:14:48 +1000

G'day all,

Faltikus the Good?

Bernuetz.Oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca (Bernuetz, Oliver: WPG)
>>If I remember correctly Faltikus the Good is Illuminated which
>>may or may not bring his devoutness into question.

It is certainly whispered the Faltikus is illuminated. It is has never been proven that he was.

>>He's pretty much immune to anything his fellow Orlanthi's can do
>>unless they actively try and off him which seems unlikely considering
>>the situation in Pavis.

You obviously haven't read Strangers in Prax, which features a scenario in which precisely this is attempted!

Stephen Martin:

>Not exactly: he is "rumored to be illuminated". Some people have accepted
>that he is (MOB put him as such in a scenario or description, if I recall
>rightly), while others do not.

If Stephen means the scenario mentioned above, no he does not recall correctly: Faltikus is in it, but nothing is said about whether he's illuminated or not. (However, we all know Steve is a man of prodigeous memory, and I did co-write another scenario *long ago* in which Faltikus is an illuminate. Unlike the scenario in SiP, this has to my knowledge never been published anywhere, and if I have my way, never will be. Stephen may have seen it some time in the distant past. For the record, I don't know if Faltikus is illuminated, and actually think it would be far more interesting if he wasn't!

Note that in the SiP scenario, at the end when Faltikus gets his hands on the legitimate robes and regalia of the High Priest of Orlanth in Pavis, he "...prudently never attempts to use any of the magical powers in public, lest they fail and reveal him as an imposter." Is this is actions of an illuminate? Only the sly phrase "in public" hints this way...

Cheers

MOB

>From the Notes from Nochet files

[XXIX.Tarsh-court/circular-1688] Vostor's daughter happened to be sufficiently good-looking for the world to believe that he owed his present office to her royal marriage, rather than the other way about.