Re: Glorantha Digest V4 #472

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 14:18:34 -0400 (EDT)

Joerg, among others:
<< Comrade Trotsky mentioned in passing:
>Aram-ya-Udum (one of the founders of the EWF, apparently)

 A leftover where the history of Dragon Pass from the boardgame Dragon Pass  was Gregged. >>

    I was quoting from ES, actually. 'Aram-ya-Udum, one of the original Founders of the ancient Empire of the Wyrm's Friends', it says, pretty unambiguously. I didn't recall having heard of him in any other context, and so had no reason to doubt the statement. Thanks for clearing that up.

Shon Vaughan:
<<Any ideas about adding a Detect Disease spell?>>

    For possession diseases, Second Sight will do the trick. I suppose there might be a form of Detect <Substance> that works on say, broo ichor, but it's only going to be available to those who regularly fight chaos. Personally, I'd just get my players to sterilise everything. Much more fun.

Shon also asks about the disease infection rate in Pavis (which, IMO, is not a great example of civic luxury). I think it's probably less than the level of sanitation would imply, due to the existence of CA healers, who are far more effective than their RW counterparts. Probably cheaper too, at least for those at the bottom end of the social spectrum. I also feel that serious diseases on Glorantha tend to be the result of magical/spirit acitivity rather than mundane epidemiology.

     To be honest though, that's just an excuse; my main reason for claiming the disease rate is not especially high is so that I can largely ignore it in my campaign, unless a bunch of secret Malia followers turn up or some similar scenario hook. Greg has said that magical healing is much more difficult to obtain on Glorantha than the roolz imply, so if you feel differently and want a pox-ridden city, that's consistent as far as I can tell.

     BTW, broo larvae, disease... has anyone ever told you you have a really morbid turn of mind ;-)? Not that I can talk, as anyone who knows exactly what I do for a living can attest.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky