RE: Glorantha Digest V4 #474

From: Daniel McCluskey (Volt) <"Daniel>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 11:52:07 -0700

Jamuz wonders how ZZ thugs could get along with Orlanthi when they can't stand Karrg Sons...

        ZZi don't strike me as the sorts to get along with Orlanthi

and in a general sence, I would have to agree (ZZ don't play nice wit Anybody) However, I think that on the ZZ emotion scale (hate -> FROTH! SMASH!!!) Orlanthi arn't considered particularly bad. Karrgs Sons are especially hated because they try to steal all the good gory spots on the battlefield, and Mom likes them better... the ZZ fight twice as hard, kill twice as much, and get half the glory (from the ZZ perspective). "Just ain't fair, them sissy mommas boys gettin' to eat a relative and all..." Whereas Orlanthi are just stoopid hoomenz.

Remember that Storm Bull is an associate of ZZ and Orlanth both, so there is some bridge between the two (however minor). Orlanth is rough and tumble enough to merit some respect, without actually competing with Lord Demon (like Karrg or that _at_$$#0!& Humakt >spit!<). So I see no reason for a ZZ kult that tolerates Orlanthi to be any more "warm and fuzzy" (or cosmopolitan even) than any other.

Additionally, The Kitori have the advantage of a built-in Bezerker-sink on their southern border. As long as there is something more fearsome than a Trollball match to prepare for, ZZ prolly don't care that much for politics. Only in the "safe" areas (DagInk and mebbe some of the Western strongholds) would our loveable band of frothing psychos ever even Notice who their "friends" are, and start hating THEM. (gotta kill SOMETHING) I would argue that it's the DagInk ZZ that are especially ornery, if anything, on account of being bored.

Basically, I suspect that the presence of the Footprint keeps the Kitori ZZi busy/sated/injured enough that their relationship with Orlanth never really occurs to them.

I would be extremely supprised if there were some special bond between ZZ and Orlanth. (even amongst the Kitori).

danm.