Re: magic shop

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 22:38:54 -0700

> the GC IV Conpendium will most likely
> not be available at GC V

Any word on the Compendium from GC III (Melbourne)?

Mike Lay asked

> The [Pavis] map shows a magic shop, presumably run by a mage of some sort.
> Has anybody any comments on what such a shop would sell (and for how much)?

I imagine it's left up to you to determine what it sells, depending on how generous you feel to your players. I'd concur with you that you couldn't expect major magic items made to order. However, I probably wouldn't make the proprieter a mage -- consider that in Pavis, all sorts of strange items turn up from the Rubble, and this shop might be able to evaluate them and offer adventurers a market for odd items -- or be a place to buy that agipith root dowsing rod the original finder couldn't figure out a use for.

Another service a magic shop could provide is a spell broker. If you need a particular spell cast, they could act as a middle-man and find the right priest/shaman/whoever.

Note that the RQ3 economic system is set up so that an enchanter can give up 1 POW/year (his expected annual gain) and make an average living. An enchanter would probably thus be a crafter most of the time (remembering that enchanted items need to be crafted), but double his or her income with the occasional magic item.