Orlanthi & Uz, Which Lightbringers?

From: remster_at_interport.net
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 1997 00:10:18 -0400

> From: "Daniel McCluskey (Volt)" <a-daniem_at_microsoft.com>
> Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 11:52:07 -0700
> Subject: RE: Glorantha Digest V4 #474
>
> Jamuz wonders how ZZ thugs could get along with Orlanthi when they can't
> stand Karrg Sons...
> ZZi don't strike me as the sorts to get along with Orlanthi

> I would be extremely supprised if there were some special bond between
> ZZ and Orlanth. (even amongst the Kitori).
>
> danm.

IMHO, the relations between Orlanth and ZZ would be mixed... for example, it was the Storm God and his kin who killed the accursed Yelm and his brethren. However, the Storm Gods also fueded at times with the Uz Deities (The Sandals of Darkness subcult, frex.) Orlanth made it easier for ZZ to steal Yelmalio's fire powers (If memory from Cults of Prax serves, supposedly Yelmalio was not at full strength because he had been defeated by Orlanth first at the Hill of Gold, allowing for the horrendous defeat at the hands of Zorak Zoran.) Also, somewhere, I believe there's a Myth where Orlanth directly defeats ZZ or Kaarg, proving his supremacy against the Darkness Gods. Can someone help me here?

> From: "Richard, Jeff" <Jeff.Richard_at_metrokc.gov>
> Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 12:14:18 -0700
> Subject: Fantasy and different Orlanths for different folks
>
> Howdy all!
>
> On a different subject, Remster responded to fellow SFC initiate Pam
> Carlson:
> >If this indeed the case, then how do they interpret their own variant
> >of Lighbringer worhsip?
>
> Which Lightbringer worship? IMO the southern Heortling (Sartar,
> Heortland) Orlanth cults in the Third Age has some significant
> differences from the northern Heortling Orlanth cults (Tarsh, Aggar, and
> Holay), to say nothing of the non-Heortling Orlanth cults (Talastar [a
> special case IMO], Ralios, Syllila, Vanch, Brolia, Wenelia, etc.).
> Furthermore, I have a sneaking suspicion that even things like the
> Lightbringers' Quest that we all know and love have changed rather
> significantly in meaning and association since the Dawn.
>
> >Regardless of cultural differences, Orlanth is hostile to the Red Goddess.
>
> Whose Orlanth? Sure, the Orlanth worshipped by the Sartarites and the
> Heortlendings is implacably hostile to the Red Goddess. Probably the
> Orlanth of Talastar is as well. I think the Orlanatus [or whatever] of
> Syllila is not hostile to the Red Goddess.
>
> >If these Orlanthi in Tarsh do not actively oppose the Red Goddess or are
> religiously >friendly to her, then they maybe culturally Orlanthi, but
> not religiously. Please
> >explain...:)
>
> Sure - if Harangvot the Barber from Syllila (a 14th century Syllilan
> player-character of mine) showed up in Sartar he'd be able to show up to
> the local tribal Orlanth ceremonies and participate in the rites,
> although he'd perform certain parts of the rituals "wrongly" and in the
> "wrong" sequence. Still the local Culbrea priests would accept him as
> Orlanthi. When they performed the "Shepelkirt Bad Bad Bad" ritual and
> Harangvot looked at them dumb-founded without a clue what these upland
> barbarians were talking about, the local priests would presume that
> Harangvot was not religiously Orlanthi and probably perform the Summon
> Spirits of Reprisal ritual against poor Harangvot. As far as Harangvot
> is concerned, he walks in the path of Orlanatus and Walind the Ram like
> a good thane.
>
> Does that help at all?
>
> Jeff Richard

*sigh* Here we go, back to the old 'subjective vs objective' thing again. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that generally the Moon in Glorantha is set against the Storm, regardless of what local flavor or variances of Myth exist in a given area. What I wanted to know is how local Orlanthi would deal with Lunar Occupation in a given area. Even Orlanatus and Walind are set against the Moon, at least according to Lunar Myths (The Icebreakers et al.) Do you hold the view that the cosmological forces of Glorantha don't exist as such, and the Moon VS Storm conflict only exists due to the desires of worshippers in certain parts of Generatela (ie - those Pelorians want to get back at the southern barbarians who have humiliated them so many times, so they literally invented a Goddess to do it?)

IMO/IMG, while the local priests may invoke the Spirits of Reprisal against poor Harangvot, Orlanth would not send them, as he knows his worhsipper is honoring him in the best way he knows how ;)