moon vs storm

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 13:27:00 -0700

Remster:
>*sigh* Here we go, back to the old 'subjective vs objective' thing
again.... it seems to me that generally the Moon in Glorantha is set against the Storm,

But what element ISN'T set against storm in Glorantha? Light/Fire? Darkness? Water? Earth?

Earth is probably the least antagonistic to storm, but then Earth is least antagonistic to almost everything.

You are correct in detecting a storm-moon antagonism in various myths across Genertela. But there are also sun-moon antagonisms, sun-water antagonisms, storm-water antagonisms, sun-storm antagonisms, and much antagonism all around regarding darkness. These antagonisms can be expressed many ways in cultures. Some cultures, (like Peloria) seem to celebrate them and use them creatively. (Frex, Murharzarm 'taming' the river serpent.)

The Moon-Storm antagonism can be expressed different ways by different cultures. Some emphasize it, some do not. The Lunars themselves do not seem to take any antagonism to extremes.

>(ie - those Pelorians want to get back at the southern barbarians who have humiliated them so many times, so they
literally invented a Goddess to do it?)

You're thinking Sartar-centrically again.

The Red Moon goddess is a Pelorian response to a Pelorian problem. Do not view everthing that happens in the LE as a response to Orlanthi. They are about as important to the Lunar Empire as the Middle East is to US politics - after factoring out the oil politics. The southern "problems" are thought of occasionally, but they are not nearly as important as the price of rice in Raibanth.

All IMO -

Pam