Ex/Block, Doraddi, +++++

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 1997 02:39:03 EDT

To All:

Sorry this is so long -- 11 Digests in less than two days is too much for me.

Peter Metcalf

>ObRiddle: Has anybody else noticed how the trajectory [of the Block]
points
>to the Southeast and not to Magasta's Pool?

Of course, because the Block is said to have bounced off the sky before landing in Prax. Of course, the trajectory is still wrong for that, unless it bounced around quite a few times.

Makes me think if maybe the Jugger isn't another piece of truestone bouncing around on the sky.

Sandy Petersen

Pamalt's Problem

Awesome myth! I liked the Vangono/Sikkanos solution in particular. Now, you only have to tell us who are Kunagoa, Sikasso, Duala, Hondori Mal, and Lokomal, none of whom I recall seeing before. I'm psyched!

>A SHORT GUIDE TO THE MOST COMMON DORADDI GODS
And so you did, a few Digests later.

Only a couple of quibbles. Two of your deities have aspects very similar to a couple in the unpublished cult of Yanmorla. I copy here the relevant sections of that very unfinished write-up, along with a couple others of note.

Note that I don't necessarily prefer these to Sandy's, I just include them for completeness and/or comment. For example, I'm not so sure that Sandy's Lorekeeper goddess is separate from Yanmorla, since this seems to me to be what she is, the old woman who is keeper of women's lore.

Tadarida -- Aleshmara's aunt. She holds the spirits of the dead for Yanmorla. She brings her spells and a skill. Northerners equate her with Ty Kora Tek.

Miroune -- Miroune is Faranar's dark sister. Though she is evil, she helps Faranar in times of trouble, and at least is not as bad as Famorde. Northerners equate her with Babeester Gor.

Famorde -- One of Aleshmara's several sisters. She is evil like Miroune, but remembers her family ties, and is always there when her support is needed. Many northerners equate her with Maran Gor.

Coal-Carrier --Coal-Carrier is Aleshmara's cousin and Lodril's daughter. The
God- Learners believed that she was the local version of the goddess Mahome.

How does Duala (Good Rain) differ from Keraun, who I thought was the Rain Goddess, in that she is the wind goddess who brings the Rain? Or is Duala her daughter, the rain goddess whom she brings to the plains?

As for Baba uLodr/Lodril as the defender (someone else's comments), I view this as being more the view of the Men-and-a-Half of Prax. Whether he was originally this in Pamaltela or not is irrelevant, since he is certainly not that now. Since the Men-and-a-Half of Prax seem to revere him a little more highly, and to take him a little more seriously, than do the mainstream Doraddi, I think this view is appropriate for them.

As to Slave Collars vs. Slave Bracelets, the original Cults of Prax write-up made no distinction between them, none at all -- they were both parts of a single item. So I have treated them as such, and stand by my "multiple creators" theory. Though each place would make a somewhat different item, of course, depending on their original reasons for creating such an object. In other words, dwarf-created ones would be made for what dwarfs wanted, certainly a different thing than the Ompalam cult's desires in such an object.

And for the record, I could find no reference to Slave Collars in the Kralorela section of Genertela Book.

"D. Pearton" <pearton_at_u.washington.edu> Doraddi Names

I accept your suggestion in the spirit it is given, and note that you are correct -- even with my version, the correct form _is_ Baba uLodra.

But, I must note 1) that the Doraddi languages are NOT African; 2) that this is only one example of African word usage, others are certainly different; and 3) part of this is pronunciation versus transliteration. Since "iLodra" and "uLodra" can easily be pronounced the same way, I won't worry about it.As a nit-picker myself, I won't fault you for your comments. My only worry all along has been that this is _too close_ to Lodril, which is why I insist on always saying it as Baba Ulodra.

"Loren Miller" <loren_at_wharton.upenn.edu> Re: Undine Water Bottles

>> How could you store two cubic meters of water in anything smaller than
>> would normally hold that much? And if the binding object _will_ hold
two
>> cubic meters of waters (which is about 18 cubic feet of water, a
lot!),
>> it will be sort of inconvenient to use. And what happens if you pour
the
>> water out -- since it is part of the Binding Enchantment, I would
expect
>> that _that exact water_ would have to go back in to restore the
>> enchantment. And that is basically impossible.

>But I disagree with this. Obviously when you bind a spirit (of
>whatever sort) into something, it doesn't get physically jammed into
>the item. Otherwise, how could you ever bind a salamander into a
>sword (metal doesn't burn), or a big, fat demon into a 2" thick
>door? Spirits are Different, and the capitalization is intentional.

Yes, _spirits_ are different, and don't take up physical space. But, a salamander on the physical plane is NOT a spirit -- it is an embodied spirit, a spirit in a physical body. When you bind the spirit, you do NOT bind its body as well. _That_ is why you have to have a source of the element to call it forth again. Otherwise, you _would_ have to bind the physical substance into the summoning object.

In other words, The Summon Elemental spell will NOT "Summon Element".

Now, Joerg suggested a sort of "pocket" on the Spirit Plane to do this. While I can buy this in principal, I cannot in practice, as the effort to create such a pocket seems to me to be on the level of HQing, and beyong the ordinary elemental summoner.

MOB and I also had discussed a fix to the elemental summoning idea, where a few deities have the old RQ ability to call forth an elemental in a shorter time than RQ allows, without having to resort to a Command Elemental spell used on a bound spirit at all times.

Maybe I should go back and finish it, though I warn everyone -- it involves classifying elementals as small, medium, large, and huge again....

MOB's Faltikus scenario

MOB is correct in stating that I am referring to his very old, hopefully not to be made public scenario. He once sent it to me on disk, a long time ago. Other than Faltikus being illuminated in it, I recall absolutely nothing else, and doubt I have a copy any longer.

GODS OF PRAX Just for the few who don't know it, I believe that Yamsur is the original Praxian Sun God, though I doubt anyone in Glorantha knows this.

My evidence for this is slight -- basically, the only place Yamsur is mentioned in any active sense is in Cults of Terror, where he is one of the gods at the Last Battle of Mortality. Since the only other good guys mentioned there are Genert, Seolinthur, and Storm Bull, all Praxian deities, I think it is a good indication that Yamsur was also a Praxian deity.

This implies, to me, that the original pre-Dawn Hyalorings were also Praxians, the original Pure Horse Tribe. This fits what little we know of their migration patterns and/or pre-Dawn presence (note that the Hyalorings in Dara Happa are known AFTER the Dawn). I don't believe in the city of Nivorah, so that is not a problem.

As for Storm Bull, while it is true that both Orlanthi and Praxians view Urox and Storm Bull as the same deity now, I don't think this was the case at the Dawn. I believe that Orani was the original cognate of Storm Bull in Prax, and that he died defeating the Devil -- after the Block fell, he crawled off into the west, and never returned, and so the Praxians assumed he died.

When quite a few Orlanthi fled into Prax in the late First Age, fleeing from Gbaji, the obviously superior anti-chaos powers of the Uroxi were much more visible to and desired by the Praxians (who had only Waha's relatively weak anti-chaos powers up until then), and he quickly took over Orani's role.

My only real evidence for this is Nomad Gods, where in the original version Storm Bull is mentioned in many myths, but has no place whatsoever in the game. The only anti-chaos units are the Tribal Waha Shamans, and Waha himself.

All of this is open to flaming or honest debate, though I can't promise I'll have time to respond to everything.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com