What do you want?

From: Michael O'Brien <mrmob_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 20:51:17 +1000

G'day all,

Here's my character write-up for the People of Pavis Freeform, held as part of the German RQ Con 1997. Please note that it helps to have watched the science-fiction series Babylon-5 to make full sense of this reverent homage/ uninspired rip-off...

What do you want?

People of Pavis Freeform Character Writeup (German RQ Con 1997)

Hucipities, Commander of the Marble Phalanx

Findings of a Reconstruction Spell, cast on the office of Hucipities, commander of the Granite Phalanx and covering a period of the morning of [date], the day before the conflagration and disturbances in the Farmers Quarter in the early hours of [date]. There are two people in the room, Hucipities, the Sun Lord commander of the Marble Phalanx and another, a man in dusty travelling clothes, possibly identified as Ponates, supposedly a simple caravan guard. This person is now missing, and cannot be traced.

Hucipities: "What do you want?"

"Funny, that was exactly the question I was going to ask *you*."

"I am a busy man. Tell me what this 'important message' is and be on your
way."

"What do you want?"

"I tell you what I want - some peace and quiet, without someone like you
asking me stupid questions. Now, if you will excuse me, I have a regimental drill parade to organise, a Sun Dome ceremony to prepare, a Shield Push tournament to organise. That is the way out..."

"Please general, just answer my question and I will trouble you no further.
What do you want?"

"What do I want? What do I want? If I tell you, you will trouble me no
further with your silly questions?

"Yes, just tell me: what do you want?"

"I want my Sun People to take their rightful place as leaders in this
forsaken city!"

"Is that all you want?"

"I want to clear out those Orlanthi barbarian scum who live cheek by jowl
beside us, crowding us into the Suntown quarter and taking valuable space in the Farmer's Quarter as their own. I want to drive out with whips their brazen womenfolk, who lasciviously flaunt their naked arms and faces at us! I want to banish their menfolk, bawling appalling poetry to their heathenish gods and playing those infernal blaring bagpipes day and night. I want to tear down their hovels and their crooked streets and replace them with the straight, firm lines of Sun Dome architecture, with clean, decent homes and honest Sunfolk families."

"Anything else?"

"YES! I want to get rid of short Moonloving penpushers and their imbecile,
squash-growing half-brothers, who stop me doing this and deny the Sun people what is rightfully theirs. But why should I be bothered telling you this, what could *you* possibly do for me?"

"I have... 'associates' general, and they can be very helpful indeed. I
will arrange these things for you. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what we can do to assist you and your people."

"And what do you ask in return?"

"One day general, my 'associates' may ask for a favour in return. One day."

Questlines II

David Dunham:
  >Any word on the Compendium from GC III (Melbourne)?

Yes! Questlines II will be out in September, in the lead-up to Gloranthacon Down Under in January 1997. This book will feature character writeups and seminar transcripts from RQ Con Down Under, and a host of new material from our various special guests and others.

I will post more details about QLII on the Digest soon.

Cheers

MOB

>From the Notes from Nochet files:

[XXIX.contemporary-hagiography:west/854907632] NOTSLOR: was known to be very holy from his dislike of washing, which saved him from vanity and perhaps lust.