mythic interaction

From: Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 11:26:35 -0700

Howdy again,

Joseph Troxell wrote:
>Pam Carlson suggests that Pantheons should be complete. I think this
would
>be true if a pantheon doesn't interact with others, and that is something
>see in most RW mythological polytheistic pantheons. However, in
Glorantha,
>the gods do interact (this is one of the things that really draws me to
the
>world).

Rather than discuss Gloranthan theology, I'd like to observe that RW pantheistic pantheons (and monotheistic religions) did interact and influence each other. Nascent Christianity was heavily influenced by interaction with other Mediterranean mystery cults (Dionysius, Isis, etc.), several historians have waxed eloquently upon the hypothesis that the Hellenic pantheon was syncretism of cults from around the eastern Mediterranean, and in Latin America, the interaction between Spanish Christianity and indigenous or African traditions is most profound.  Nonetheless, people tend to explain the world around them in a symbology that they are familiar with. Hence, pretty much all Gloranthans will have a Sun God, a Storm God, an Earth Mother Goddess, River Gods, etc. etc.

Of course if you mean that Ares never got to stick fight with the Hopi Sun God, I'll have to agree. Although there is the story about Thor and the White Christ. . . .

Jeff