Re: Undine Water Bottles

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_danet.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 97 11:50:14 EDT

> From: <TTrotsky_at_aol.com>
> Subject: Fantasy, mercenaries
> David Ford:
> << I can not understand why so many gamers, want their worlds to have magic
> but none of the side-effects that having magic in a world creates. Also it
> seems that magic that kills/injures people is allowable but anything that
> upsets the ancients/medieval technological level is a no-no. Why is this? >>
>
> A world that uses magic in a technological way as you suggested is
> (naturally) a perfectly valid game setting. But it isn't Glorantha as
> described, it would be quite a different world IMO. Now, if that's how you
> like your game, more power to you. I can't say I'd be particularly keen on
> it, but then I wouldn't go for Jeff Richard's farmer campaigns either. Well,
> maybe I'd give both options a try, but they don't appeal to me overmuch.

No one seems to be noting that it requires binding a water elemental, which, despite being a listed monster race, are not that easy to get. To be practical, it also required Tapping several characteristics, which is forbidden in the Third Age that most of us seem to be in.. IMO, this sort of pseudo-technology activity was done commonly by the God Learners and pre-1040 EWF (I think that' the year of Dragonspeech loss). The buildup in Mythic Strain between what they did and what the Other Side "wanted" (ie, Undines free in the Ocean, not bound in water bottles) eventually triggered the End-Of-Age disasters and the Gift Carriers, what ever they actually were.

If you want an occasional (5-10 in existance, most in temples or royal treasuries) water bottle, fine. If you want them available at the local Trackers Shoppe in the local mall, set your campaign in the early to mid Second Age, not the Third Age..