Wine gods and complete pantheons

From: D. Pearton <pearton_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 11:25:41 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

Hasni had some problems with Pam's assertions that all pantheons are complete and says that frex the "earth pantheon" in never complete on its own. Where I think that the confusion comes in is that things like the
"elemental" pantheons per se _are_ by their very nature incomplete, but
the pantheon of any given _culture_, be it the Pelorians, Sartarites, Kraloreli, trolls or Doraddi, are complete. Thus the Pelorian pantheon is complete in and of itself contaning darkness (Gorgoma, Bijjif, etc), earth (Lodril, etc), aether (Yelm, etc), storm (entekos, etc), water (Oslira, etc). Of course they do concentrate more on certain aspects than the Sartarites or Trolls would, but they do not need to go to other cultures to round out their pantheon. Thus Rebellous Terminus is a known pelorian god, and it is not Orlanth in the minds of most Pelorians.

I also want to echo the fact that there are genuine Orlanthi who do not look at their God in life and death struggle with the Red Goddess. The Syllians (god I always spell that wrong), Tarshites, Aggari are all happily ;) part of the empire and see no problem with accepting the Red Goddess. The Ralians have no clue that their god is supposed to be diametrically opposed to the Red Moon, they have their own problems with the Western type cultures and the elves, for example. Our Ralians were most welcoming of Lunar traders - they provided wine. One of our number persuaded my sceptical Bemurok worshipper that they couldn't be much of a threat because they worshipped a wine-besotted emporer.

That's all for now,
Yak
- --
Dave Pearton
pearton_at_u.washington.edu

Down he sank in a chair-ran his hands through his hair-	+
     And chanted in mimsiest tones			+
Words whose utter inanity proved his insanity,		+
     While he rattled a couple of bones.		+
							+

"The Hunting of the Snark" Lewis Carroll +