Re: Humakti geasa

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_danet.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 97 10:55:25 EDT

> From: Telmori_at_t-online.de (Thomas Gottschall)
> It is said that geasa are devices to make the worshipper more similar to
> the deity. If so, Humakt would be an ever-silent, non-armoured and
> honourous swordsman. But this makes the most pious Sword of Humakt
> absurd ! He would have to be silent all the time (though he knows many
> spells he musn't cast them ?!?) and he musn't wear any armour. Though he
> would be a superior fighter he would die because his enemies could use
> magic. I wonder how this thing _really_ works ?

My Sword-Brother obviously has forgotten that spells can be cast in SwordSpeech's purely silent dialect, though for most people, who lack fluency in it, the effect is the same as if casting after losing both arms (-150% until relearned in RQ3, IIRC). After sufficiently high fluency is gained (~45% by my guess) one can relearn one's spells at normal difficulty. This applies only to those Divine and Spirit spells that Humakt or his companions teach, of course.

One can also arrange the conditions of enchantment on one's weapons to cast the spells as needed, without verbal command. There is also one's Allied Spirit and bound Magic Spirits to cast the spells, instead, as well as Mindlinked non-Humakti companions.

As for the lack of armor, anyone with decent parrying mastery (say, about 150-200%) can dispense with it, except when dealing with missile weapons or acid attacks. Or thorns. Or mosquitoes. Or ... well that's why HE gives us Protection and Shield.