revealing my true colours...

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 21:32:07 +1200

David Cake:

>One
>worthwhile digest project, I humbly suggest, would be a very brief 'God
>Learner history', of things that everyone more or less agrees on (with
>annotations and explanations for where one culture significantly
>disagrees).

It's called the Jrusteli Monomyth and can be found at the front of the Cults book in Gods of Glorantha (in the demise of the Golden Age, only one of the myths mentions that Yelm was murdered). The chief error, and one that the God Learners do not seem to have realised, is that the consensus of glorantha myths is not necessarily the same as what actually happened.

A second error in that work is that the events are placed in the monomythic timeline according to their similarity with other myths regardless of the sequence found in the cultural myth from which it was taken. The creation of the Doraddi medicine plants is placed in the creation of plants sequence which lies before the creation of humans yet the doraddi medicine plants are dependant on humans. Likewise the Two Floods of Peloria are treated as a Great Darkness event whereas the Dara Happans believe that it took place at the end of the Golden Age/Rule of Yelm.

We don't know enough about the some of the various places of glorantha to put the events in their proper place. For instance, the Artmali Empire is smashed apart in the Storm Age yet we have Doraddi tales of Artmal being defeated by a Troll invasion during what the God Learners would call the Survival Period (ie after Chaos has been defeated).

There are other particular errors of fact (such as the various Solar Cults are united under a Yelm Pantheon) but they are largely unimportant for now.

>We could start with the objectively visible (ie astronomical
>bodies and their coming and going), rather than attempting the monomyth

Given in the Ivory Pages of the GRAY ("Heaven Corrupted" p88-89). The trouble with this is that half the records lie for political reasons (ie the Lunars believe that when Sheng Seleris was allegedly Emperor, 'a new planet rose into the sky, blocking out the Sun as if it were the age of Kargzant again. There was war in heaven, and the Sun and the Moon were blocked out by the darkness and the planets').

The other half of the time, the records are vague and scholars argue over their meaning. Many of the planets mentioned in the old myths are incredibly obscure and are thought to be lost. But because they are so obscure, some (if not all) of the supposedly 'new' planets may in fact be the old ones under a different name.