Re: Glorantha Digest V4 #486

From: Chris Bell <remster_at_interport.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 10:41:24 -0400

> From: "D. Pearton" <pearton_at_u.washington.edu>
> Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 11:25:41 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: Wine gods and complete pantheons

 Thus Rebellous Terminus is a known pelorian
> god, and it is not Orlanth in the minds of most Pelorians.

A question in regards to Pelorian Rebellious Terminous... In Peloria, does he actually have worship, and a cult?

> I also want to echo the fact that there are genuine Orlanthi who do not
> look at their God in life and death struggle with the Red Goddess. The
> Syllians (god I always spell that wrong), Tarshites, Aggari are all
> happily ;) part of the empire and see no problem with accepting the Red
> Goddess. The Ralians have no clue that their god is supposed to be
> diametrically opposed to the Red Moon, they have their own problems with
> the Western type cultures and the elves, for example. Our Ralians were
> most welcoming of Lunar traders - they provided wine. One of our number
> persuaded my sceptical Bemurok worshipper that they couldn't be much of a
> threat because they worshipped a wine-besotted emporer.

        Well, that's because that Uroxi's Sense Chaos didn't go off... :) As for the Tarshites and Aggari, I assume that at least Tarsh is inside the Glowline, and therefore the aspects of Orlanth that they worhsip have been subsumed by the wicked powers of the Red Goddess! :) Seriously, the Tarshites can serve as an example of what the Lunars had planned for the Sartarites if there work on the Glowline at the Reaching Moon temple in Dragon Pass had been completed. IMO, the Lunars make use of various minor God-Learner techniques to subsume local deities into their pantheon and to change the nature of local gods so that they are more 'politically correct.' Tarsh and Aggar are examples of a 'tamed' Orlanth... Perhaps a variant of the Goddess Switch has been performed, with the power of these good Storm worshippers going to Entekos or Molanni instead.

        As for Ralians, the literally know nothing of the Red Goddess. However, that Uroxi was right in being suspicious... When and if the Empire makes it to Ralios I suspect that the Ralian Orlanthi will resist in much the same way the Dragon Pass Orlanthi did. I'm sure that a Divination will inform the Ralians of the perfidity of the Red Goddess.