Moon vs. Storm

From: Schmidt, Erich <SchmidtE_at_NLP01.RENSSELAER.basf-corp.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 23:49:18 -0400

It was mentioned (I forget by who, Pam?) that there are a number of countries within the Empire that are of Orlanthi stock where Orlanth and the Red Goddess are not in dire conflict. OK, then why are they in Sartar? What is the difference between the natives of Sartar that causes such hatred when none seems to exist in Saird, Aggar, etc. Is it that these countries have been assimilated long ago and there is no more cultural animosity? Or has Lunar magic effectively brainwashed the leaders, and the peasants see no difference in who they pay their taxes to? (Tarsh?)

If Sartari freedom fighters infiltrate these Lunar/Orlanthi countries would they be able to start a resistance based on a similar religious stance as in Sartar? Or, because there are different myths would this effort meet major difficulties?

Personally, I think that the worship of Orlanth in these subject countries has been supplanted by Air gods friendly to the Moon such as Molanni, etc. This gives them their needed magics for calling the rain and keeps them away from the rebellious, New-World-Order-breaking power of Storm. After the fall of Whitewall and the completion of the new Temple of the Reaching Moon in Sartar the evangelists will be out and about preaching the virtues of their tame Air gods to the Sartari/ Heortland masses.

Erich Schmidt