Religion is History, Reality, the Monomyth, or What?

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 14:48:03 +0100 (BST)

Chris Bell, in a 17K post which lends new meaning to the phrase "more quoted than original text", writes:

> However, one fundamental fact overrides all other considerations in
> Glorantha... RELIGION IS REALITY.

I'm genuinely torn between poking semantic holes in this statement, and simply wondering aloud what it means.

> Therefore, Religion and Politics, for example, are utterly inseperable.

The fact that the two frequently occur in combination doesn't make them the Same Thing. Hitting someone over the head in a Dart Competition is a political act; staring at the sun for a decade in a Dayzatar temple is a religious one. Seems at least somewhat separable to me.

> Gods are not constructs,

I know well enough to steer clear of this one...

> they have free will and directly involve themselves in
> the lives of their worshippers.

But this one isn't true, at least if observation of Gloranthan history is to be believed, or come to that if Gloranthans' own beliefs about the Invisible World is. Orlanthi believers in the Compromise don't think this, and nor do those wacky Pelorians who believe in Masks, Mysticism, darn-near-transcendental deities, and the like.

Doubtless there'll be a bout of hair-splitting as to what constitutes "free will" and "direct involvement", but the existence of rune spells, divination, and the occassional avatar doesn't amount to a precise identity between ones day-to-day life, and what someone (either ones local priest, or a Gloranthan Theorist on the Digest) thinks Orlanth's Own Personal Grand Design for the Universe is.

> If the Red Goddess did not want the
> current conquest to be occuring, she'd simply deny Rune Spells to her
> priest(esses) until they toe'd her line.

I _knew_ there was some reason I was missing as to why the Red Goddess' cult doesn't grant any Rune Magic...

> As far as subjective vs objective again goes, it seems to me the reason
> why debate on this topic is so feirce here on the Digest is because none
> of us want our favorite Pantheons, and their views of Gloranthan
> Reality, to be 'false'.

That's doubtless true, but some of us don't want _any_ of them to be 'false'. Nor do we want them to become 'true' simply by virtue of having all become essentially the same.

> This is fine, with the only person to blame being our beloved
> Greg, who decided to make things interesting by making sure there was no
> true Monomyth in Glorantha, and by not pointing out who's right and
> wrong.

Greg -- Beloved and Blamed. Has a certain ring to it, don't you think?

But if I follow the thread of your argument, if Monomyth = History

Slainte,
Alex.