RE: Spirit Hunting

From: Dave Bailey <db_at_uk.hboc.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 09:04:08 +0100

Jane got my brain working again with some questions which is painful at = this time of the morning....

(Does Healing relieve the pain?)

>> I've always viewed spell spirits as "game" on the spirit plane.=20

>I can see this being the case in Prax: it is, having read that, IMG. It
>may be the case in Sartar. What do you see happening in cultures that
>have no hunting tradition but do have spirit magic? Do the priests
>"herd" spirits? Grow them in fields? Maybe that's why civilised places
>have fixed temples that the Praxians don't need: you have to settle =
down
>in one place to tend crops of either wheat or spirits? Maybe the
>temple-grown spirits are tamer, easier to beat in spirit combat? But =
the
>free-range ones have more "flavour" - in the sense of more personalised
>special effects with the spells?=20

I was thinking along the lines of cult spell spirits being lesser allied = spirits. If they were cult ancestors then they'd be summoned because = they'd be willing to give up their spells - it may be that taking the = spell is automatic in this case because of a willing target. The spirits = manifestation doesn't have to be living. If a Yelmalian went into his = temple and wanted to learn Light then the priest may return with a spear = that he would have to *control* before hurling it into the Darkness. I'm = assuming that within a temple the priests have a "hot line" to their = heaven and have some limited power to draw upon it's resources for = certain things - spells and allied spirits. Boy would you have a grin on = your face if Sheng turned up to pass on his Bladesharpe 50!!!

The problem is whether or not the spell spirit is "re-usable". With the = primitive Shaman my gut reaction was that it wasn't because it fitted = neatly with the circumstances but this mean that cults either have a = limited resource or have plantations/barns or whatever full of spells to = be handed out to the next priest that fills in form 453x-45-Z! OTOH try = this for size; A cult has x many living followers and y many on the = spirit plane. As long as y is greater than x then things are fine - a = bit like handing down heirlooms. Converts will naturally add more = resources (once they're dead). The other problem is what do spirit get = up to on the spirit plane?

One thing I'm thinking about introducing IMG now we've started on this = is an Urban Shaman. If Pavis (new or Old) has a presence on the spirit = plane then a shaman with the right knowledge could tap it as a resource = along side the city cult. It's a bit of a strange mix but it could be = interesting, OTOH it could be a thing that only Athur Mullards mum would = love....

Dave=20
Notts, UK.