having your cake and eating it

From: danny bourne <d.bourne_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 13:16:21 +0100

re David Cake:
>The Gods do not have free will.

Says who? If someone else wants them to be so, then they are so. Subjectivism for GMs!

That Gods do not have free will has been said many
>times, by Greg and others. It has been the foundation mechanic of just
>about every HeroQuest draft, for starters (though sometimes in rather
>hamfisted way).

So what? If I want them to have free will, they have free will. But then I don't believe in the existence of the gods, it's all a sham by the priests.

>Understand this - A God is not a Person.

Says who? I personally (as I've mentioned before and have had slagged before) that I believe people can become gods - Greg mentioned this at Convulsio 3D WRT Julius Caesar. My take on illumination is that it's the revealing that there is a divine spark within a human, a potentiality that they can make actual - although it's very difficult to do and I got slagged for being wrong.

Just because people have differing opinions - be it Greg, Nick, Steven, Wilbur Whateley's - doesn't mean that they're wrong. In fact when people go out to quote saying but it's wrong because we know for a fact that X happened I really begin to start wondering whether people live in the real world or not. X NEVER DID HAPPEN, it got made up in a book by Greg. And so if Greg can make things up, I can make things up. As long as my players like playing in my campaigns I and will do whatever I want whether it's Right or Wrong (and I'm sorry if my campaign is not up to scratch to those of you who insist on using every word ever written to construct your campaigns).

You see, I know the Lunar Empire's going to win, Argrath will get beaten, the Lunar Empire will eventually become the dominant culture and the world will be a good and harmonious place. Am I wrong? In terms of published material, yes. In terms of the campaign no, because that is what will happen. Maybe the big wig Lunars, when it's all over will become deities. Why not? And I'll give them free will to boot. Okay, so I'm a heretic, but that's what'll happen.

Martin Laurie
I read with interest Martin's discussion about the British Army - they are better than the Yanks (GDW's third world series gives UK divisions an 8 capability rating, the US divisions only 7s). But I'd like to add that Sandy's Art of War in Prax is a fine and good read, but I would also like to say that Archer Jones' book The Art of War, is probably the worst book on military history ever written and should be avoided at all costs because his basic thesis is completely flawed, IMO. Oman is the person to read to get a full idea of how Gloranthan miltitary capabilities bar none.