altering the past....

From: Andrew Joelson <joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 07:57:54 -0500

>> One of the features of 1984 was that history could be edited and
>> changed: "Oceania is at war with Eastasia. We have always been at
>> war with Eastasia."

>With heroquests, it seems that a sufficiently advanced society could
>make this happen! Maybe that's what the Godlearners were doing . . . =
changing past
>history to fit present politics . . .

        Somebody asked this one at the Lore Auction at GC IV. Sandy Peteresen answered by saying that you cannot HeroQuest to change the past wholesale, but that you can make it different for yourself. He gave the following example, (paraphrased, I don't have it right in front of me).

        You are a Grazer, and go off on a Quest to protect Hippogriff from Zorak Zoran. You find the struggle between ZZ and Hippogriff and leap nobly into the fray. You assume the struggle for Hippogriff. If you survive all the damage ZZ dishes out, when you return from the Quest _your_ horse will be found to be a hippogriff. Yours, and yours alone. (And you have to have the right kind of horse, with the right bloodlines or it won't work anyway.)

        The result; _you_ have preserved _your_ horse from the Doom of Hippogriff. But all others horses remain the same.

        The Godlearners did make wholesale changes in history/reality. After they had imposed their changes (at least some of them), it was as if the new way was the way it had always been. But this was not HeroQuesting as we know it, it was something else.

>the Shaman knows his tribal territory and from were within
>that territory he can relocate to the hunting grounds on the
>spirit plane.

*I like this analogy. The Ars Magica "Shamans" book has similar
*evocative descriptions of the spirit worls, and is well worth
*a look for anyone running a game with a Shaman in it.

	I know very little about shamanism.  This sounds okay to
me, but isn't it a little one-sided? Perhaps pentan shamans see not game to be run down, but horses to be caught & tamed? Shamans on the verge of Orlathani lands might see crops to be raised? (or is that too elf-like an anology). Priests in Sun Couny might see the spell spirits mas crops that need hos carefull tending and irrigation....
Andrew Joelson				    joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com  -|-
aka Rupert von Harl; Cults of Seven Mothers, Yanifal Tarnils and Humakt |  "Contradiction? No, I always did tend to kill chaos creatures anyway" /