Ralios + poll

From: Jose Ramos <Jose.Ramos_at_univ-angers.fr>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 14:30:46 +0200 (METDST)

        Chris Bell, able to send a 18K message without including the digest, has touched a matter close to my heart. But first the poll.

        I read RQ2 in 84, but after a test combat we were horrified (the broken swords, mostly) and sartarites were not that attractive. In 87 I met RQ3 and I liked it, but my players didn't. Genertela hooked me in Glorantha, and at last I could play. Now I play a modified RQ3 PBeM in Ralios (quite freeform).

        I have written some pieces, mostly concerned with military subjects or the West, mainly because in this subjects you have more free rein than in Central Genertela.

        You forget in Ralios two facts (all this is IMG): first only the Dark Empire descendants hate Nysalor, while many (even orlanthi) equate Arkat with Gbaji, who destroyed the Bright Empire, where everybody was happy.

        Second, most people know of the Red Empire beyond the mountains, established by the Red Moon we can see, but they don't equate her (yet) with Nysalor. It is only a far away land, blocked by impassable mountains, and interesting trade goods. If she is a created god that is terrible, but at least she is far away, not like those bastards in the neighbouring city, heretics all, and thieves to boot.

        Briefly, she is too far away, and there are many other more pressing menaces (political and religious) to hate. They are good traders, and their religion is unknown to almost all. After all, the only real contact are Yanafali guards and Etyries traders, not the ones to discuss illumination or chaos close to an arkati.

Hate lists (in approximate order):

Delelans:

Lake Felster

        This order will vary easily with the complex Ralian politics, however.

A Felster war:

        When two states go to war (and usually somebody is at war with somebody else somewhere in the lake) that does not mean the total war we are used to.

        The maneuver forces are mercenaries, reinforced by small contingents of young knights (to harden them). If there is a land connection, there will be a set piece land battle, always decisive as the mercenaries surrender when beaten, and they are well treated by their colleagues. Afterwards the winner army (sometimes reinforced by the loser, if the treasury allows it) besieges the other city. Fields are ravaged, but population centers are (usually) respected. Either the city surrenders to hunger and disease, or the mercenaries leave (bought out, or when their hirer's treasury runs out).

        When they aren't neighbours things are similar, but this time with naval battles and blockades. The weaker naval powers uses/hires corsairs to hinder the other's commerce, and an attrition battle begins that will end when there is a clear victor.

        Meanwhile all this, both will be maneuvering to get other states on their side, and betrayals, sudden peaces and defections are the usual fare.

        At least, that's how I see it, so let's hear from other Ralians.

        Jose