Gods and Free Will

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 18:40:46 GMT

In my version of Glorantha, Will is either Free or Bound. The Gods' Will has mostly been tied up into the structure of the Universe long ago. The Universe is the frozen Will of the Gods. It was made that way by their choices long ago and their Will (which is many times greater than that of any single mortal) is already committed to the maintainance of those decisions and that structure.

Free Will has not yet been bound into the structure. It is the thing that allows humans to change their minds, to find new things, to make decisions. But if you are going to be a Hero, you have to face the fact that eventually you must sacrifice some of that capacity to forge a new part of the Reality of Glorantha.

And finally, in my version, Gods do not have zero Free Will. They have a little left, often less than an average mortal, carefully conserved to allow them just a little freedom of action.

Actor And Genius
AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop Of The Far Isles Medieval Society Arms Purpure An Open Book Proper: On the Dexter Page an Alpha Or On the Sinister an Omega Or. Motto Nulla Spes Sit in Resistendo (Resistance is Useless). Ask me about the Far Isles: Better Living through Pan-Medieval Anachronisms.