The nature of myth

From: Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 11:01:32 -0700

Howdy all,

I for one consider this Objectivist/Subjectivist argument to be largely a combination of bad semantics with dubious philosophical propositions ("Free Willy anyone?"). Instead I'd just like to make a very Joseph Campbell-like comment on one of Chris' statements:

>To say that no myth is correct means that all Gloranthan Myth is a lie.

Myth is not correct or lie - it is Metaphor. Like Neitzche's aphorisms, a mythic metaphor is not particularly valuable for its cast of characters or sequencing of events - but for what it indirectly reveals. Sadly enough, I think many people (both "Objectivists" and "Subjectivists") look at a cultural myth like they would a history textbook. They either read it "literally", assuming their interpretation is objectively correct, or they deconstruct it and weigh what the story doesn't say as much as what it does

IMHO, both are useful, but they are not how Gloranthan's initiated into a sacred relationship with the divine (whatever the hell that is) would interpret their myths. For the Orlanthi - Orlanth has to behave like a vicious jerk sometimes - otherwise the metaphor doesn't reveal the underlying mythic patterns that the Heortlings value. The mythic propositions are far more important than any single cult figure - and these propositions are arranged and defined differently by different peoples and cultures.

An emphasis on the gods as action figures tends to ignore the more important role of myth in Glorantha - as metaphors for underlying "truths" that cannot be logically or directly explained. Even the myths of broo and weeders suggest something about Glorantha. What they suggest might not be worth learning - but they suggest it.

BTW, for people that are really interested in complex theological arguments about Glorantha, I strongly recommend that at least King of Sartar, GRoY and the Fortunate Succession ALL be incorporated into your arguments, along with the previous RQ2/RQ3 material. Otherwise, folk just run around in circles - with some folk trying to incorporate GRoY, tFS and the Entekosiad into thei understanding of Glorantha, and others just denying that those books even exist.

Jeff