plantations & good guys

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 13:34:00 -0700

THere were some physical Glorantha facts I wanted to clear up:

Chris- where did you get the idea that there are huge slave planations all over Peloria? Did you read it in the Genertela book?

I think not, because it mentions Pelorian social institutions like "village councils", "guilds", and "clans". There is a tradition of slavery in Dara Happa, which began with the first foreign prisoners of war. Most slaves now are STILL defeated enemies, or unfortunate folk whose families were so poor they sold them into slavery as children. Slaves can also be freed.

Perhaps because you model the empire on Rome? Not very accurate. Think of medieval India or Persia. India had a very large population of poor folk, but was it run be slave plantations? Nope. There are some slave plantations in Tarsh, but now we're talking Tarshite wealthy and Tarshite prisoners, are we not?

Even when there are some oppressed folk, they don't need Orlanth to free them. Placid Lodril harbors the power of rebellion, and gentle Dendara's sister, Gorgorma, is a force even Yelm will not look upon. If you think Pelorian society is imbalanced, remember that the Pelorians also worship a goddess who personifies and enforces balance - Natha. Once, Natha restored the world to balance when the silly folk af ancient Pelanda decided they had outgrown the need for human sacrifice - Natha instituted murder.

> Sartarite protections of individual rights and the moral injunction that the
rulers must serve the governed,

What the heck is this? Twentieth century, post-enlightment government concepts in a bronze age society? As progressive as Sartar is, I can't see him describing government this way. Orlanthi governent is STILL dominated by strongmen - they just have bigger councils. Read some of the accounts of ancient Irish and Gaulish life. They had NOT read Locke and Rousseau....

>as the general compassion and regard for non-combatants, the poor, etc,

What - like in making highly inflated cattle loans to them, or giving gifts they can't possibly repay, so they are beholden to you? To be fair, I don't believe many societies in Glorantha can afford to be "compassionate", as you describe. The economic security just isn't there.

> As opposed to the Lunars, who feed war criminals and convicts to the Bat,

What should they feed it - their aunties?

>have not many legal protections for individuals (although I may be wrong -
Lunarphiles, help me out)

The Fortunate Succession chronicles a long history of social and legal reform in the Heartlands.

Perhaps the biggest difference in the cultures is size. The Pelorians have for a LONG time been densely populated. Thus, some of them have found a rigid code of laws serves them well. And not just the rulers - many of the laws are no doubt to help the common folk. Some months ago on the Digest, I quoted some of the lesser knows Laws of Hammurabbi. They deal with incidents like:

  1. what to pay if you borrow someone else's donkey, and it dies,
  2. what happens if you are a soldier, missing and presumed dead, and when you finally return home, your wife has remarried,
  3. a fair price for a barge trip on the river, and
  4. what happened to you if you intentionally brought false suit in his court, (not pretty).

These are not laws written solely to promote the well being of those in power, but to sort out the real problems of the common person. Laws are written so that the same crime receives the same punishment every time, so that the law is fair. Sure, a rich man will receive better treatment under the law in a Lunar court, but so will a thane receive a better legal outcome in an Heortling court than will a poor carl. That's human nature.

I really can't abide this "good guy, bad guy" stuff. You want bad guys?  Try the Vadeli. You want good guys? That one will take me a while...

Pam