Spell Spirits and Spell teaching

From: Chris Bell <remster_at_interport.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 20:35:23 -0400

> From: "Jane Williams" <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>
> Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 19:45:45 +0000
> Subject: Re: spirit hunting, mixed opinions, survey

> I can see this being the case in Prax: it is, having read that, IMG. It
> may be the case in Sartar. What do you see happening in cultures that
> have no hunting tradition but do have spirit magic? Do the priests
> "herd" spirits? Grow them in fields?

In the case of Rune Cults and Spells, I like to view spell teaching as a tiny Avatar of the God in questin comes to the mundane plane in a temple to teach the supplicant a particular trick or skill of the God. For example, someone wanting to learn Bladesharp may be visited by a very minor spirit of the Humakt Cult, called perhaps 'the 7th Sword Brother', one of Humakt's minor followers in God Time who stands with him now guarding that gates of Hell from Chaos. From him, one would learn Humakt's secrets of the Sharpness of Death, but must pass a challenge of some kind, a challenge that's more difficult as one learns a higher intensity of spell. Instead of the obligatory Spirit Combat, one can turn this into a minor Heroquest! Minor spells (Intensity 1 to 3) can be learned with minor difficuty... As one delves deeper into their God's special magics, one faces greater and greater challenges. In this way, Spirit Magic is just as important as learning Rune Spells. I would imagine that learning higher level Spirit/Battle Magics may requie special Quests to differing shrines of God Time heroes of one's own cult. I could see each Cult having scores of special spirits, just for this purpose (To learn each level of healing in Chalana Arroy, for example, one must deal with differing Saints of the White Lady, Rune Followers of her from the God Time or from within Time. Or, to learn proetction from the Seven Mothers, one must learn from the maskd nameless penitents of Danfive Xaron, who guards the way for the rest of the Seven Mothers.)

Does this help? ;)

Chris Bell
mailto:remster_at_interport.net