Apology and Crime

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 06:01:53 -0400

Just saw my double-post in v4 #499. Apologies all round, and I'll try to work out how it happened and avoid it in future.

Chris asks for help:

> [The Lunars] have not many legal protections for individuals
> (although I may be wrong - Lunarphiles, help me out)

Right. This is a summary of information in Tales #16, split between the Notes from Nochet, the Oronin Valley article, and the Danfive Xaron cult, and incorporating material volunteered by Greg Stafford.

The old laws of Dara Happan are essentially judged by social class: a low-class defendant is presumed guilty by the magistrate merely for being accused by someone of superior position. Punishments may be financial (for the wealthy) or brutally physical (for the poor): beatings, brandings, stonings, mutilation or impalement. These laws are still in effect for non-citizens in the Heartlands.

However, automatic adjudication based on wealth and class has been abolished by the Red Emperor for all Lunar citizens, whose guilt or innocence is instead determined by a panel of jurors. Citizens also have the right of appeal to higher courts, ultimately to the Emperor himself, though this may be expensive.

And wait: there's more! The cult of Danfive Xaron offers sanctuary to almost any criminal in its Penitentiaries (though they can refuse admission to anyone, and always do to slaves). Enrolled as Penitents, the criminal learns the truths of punishment and submission, and may eventually be initiated and released, "reborn" as a reformed ex-con. (Though a recalcitrant penitent will be expelled from the Penitentiary and forced to undergo the normal punishment for his crime, as well as any Xaroni elaborations thereupon).

While initiates can return to normal life, details of their offences remain on the record, and the cult will require attendance at worship services (think of this as probation), and may require assistance (in the form of work, skills, information, etc.) from time to time, on pain of chastisement and disapprobation.

So, the Lunars have moved from a system where an innocent poor person might be mutilated merely for being accused, to one where a *guilty* poor person can undergo character-building reform in a prison system designed to achieve this end. Looks like an improvement to me...

There's more detail (of course) in Tales #16, so buy that and read it before asking me any follow-up Qs.

::::
Nick
::::