Which Glorantha? & more

From: Nils Weinander <nilsw_at_ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 12:00:40 +0200

Martin Laurie:
>However this digest =
>is not about our own gameworlds, its about Glorantha as =
>published, written and explored through the common background =
>we all know and largely have access too.

That makes no sense at all. If we are only allowed to discussed oublished Glorantha it boils down to referencing publication and page. Apart from being quite boring that would kill all creativity.

For example, I have been involved in a lot of work on the East Isles, an area for which there is very little published material. By your standard, I wouldn't be allowed to mention the stuff we have come up with on the Digest?

Furthermore, other peoples' Gloranthas may contain unofficial, unpublished, canon-defying stuff that I find too cool to ignore.

>Sure there is =
>variance, sure there is disagreement but if in your Glorantha =
>the Lunar Empire wins and in mine it doesn't suddenly we =
>don't have that much to talk about.

That makes even less sense. You have an abundance of things to talk about: all of history up to the point where your histories diverge, cultural matters, military stuff, the sharing of stories, poetry etc.

The poll:

I started playing Gloranthan games in 1981 (RQ2). I still play occasionally but not as much as I'd like, for reasons of time constraints and the fact that my gaming group is now geographically scattered. I do write stories and such, but again not to he extent I'd want to.

Gods and free will:

I think Osentalka/Nysalor did have free will. That's why he was such a threat and many council members withdrew from the project.

I think the Red Goddess has some free will, but has tempered that, making it acceptable, by submitting to the lunar cycle.

As for heroquesting and free will, in YAHQS (go visit http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689/YAHQS.html), the concept doesn't need a separate mechanic. To do really "big" quests you need a lot of support points. To get them you need to be well integrated in your community. When you are, your obligations take away your free will. Which pretty much sums up my view of the concept.

Subjective/objective, or something:

Martin Laurie:
>It is important to
>note that Orlanth has CHANGED over time. In the dawn, Orlanth
>was very different to 1620 Orlanth (which has massive geographical
>differences anyway).

Orlanth _worship_ changed and has massive georgraphical differences. That's an important distinction.

Alex:
>Kralorela is a more marked instance of the same trend. "Gods? Big
>mistake."

Rather "Gods? Yes their worship is a good way for those unfortunate who have not yet reached enlightenment to approach teh Otherworld."

Nils Weinander | Everything is dust in the wind nilsw_at_ibm.net | http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #501