RQ RPG RIP?!

From: James Wadsley <wadsley_at_cita.utoronto.ca>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 22:23:29 -0400

Though I wouldn't go as far as V.S. Greene in condemning '-'jectivist Gloranthan debate as pointless if you "just wanna roleplay", I would like to say that I agree at least partly with his point about owning newer material. I do not own KOS, GRAY or any of the fiction because though I enjoy the discussion, when it comes to coughing up bucks - I too "just wanna roleplay". The last thing I bought was River of Cradles.

Sometimes I get really annoyed/depressed at all this debate going on with the game itself dying. I got into RQ3 to roleplay and I didn't get into Glorantha until I bought some more books. I would like to see NEW players. I would like to meet average roleplayers under 25 who have heard of RQ or even better - have played it (preferably in Glorantha, of course). I want books on shelves in my local gamestores. I do not intend to spend on any more stuff until I see some of this.

At the risk of being a bit AOL-type annoying :-) I will state that I don't see why anyone should be perturbed from contributing to the digest, despite a lack of 'facts', because I, for one, am not going to be brow-beaten into buying any more books related to a dying system. I'm sure there are people out there who see a revival occuring, but until I see books in gamestores I wont believe it.

One area where I thought there was a real prospect for development was "Heroquest - an extension for RQ." The Heroquest I did run was probably one of the more MGF sessions I ran before I left my old players behind in Australia. It would be nice to see all this energy on the digest channelled into a product. With this in mind, I must say that I'm very saddened at the apparent poor treatment of many people who have tried to get new stuff into print.

Phew!

James Wadsley.