Polling difficulties, Pharoah, "Stuff"

From: Paul Chapman <mercutio_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 11:19:39 +0100

Hi all, time for a quick clack-tossing episode...

Klyfix on imagination:

>Maybe it's my strange perspective, but isn't this all taking a
>fictional construct way the heck too seriously?

No. :-)

Sort-of-true-comment 1: British (frex) law is a construct of fiction, sustained only by the fact that it is taken seriously by a lot of people - the lawyers mostly, who couldn't live without it, of course. This is _not_ really different from the above... if nobody took the British law seriously it would have no power over anybody's lives. Because we are interested in Glorantha and take it seriously, it has power over our lives, too. This is not a Bad Thing... we _choose_ to take glorantha seriously; if I choose to not take British law seriously, other people will try to _force_ me to take said fictional construct seriously, imposing their work of fiction upon me.

Sort-of-true-comment 2: If we ended all arguments with the above statement, there'd be little point to this digest. "I think Argrath was guided by the spirit of Arkat to face his reborn enemy" "Who cares, it's only a fictional construct!" "Oh, yeah...."

Sort-of-true-comment 3: Glorantha has an existence that goes beyond what any one of us can define at any one moment. That is, it is a shared vision, a newborn myth, if you like. Cultures _do_ tend to take their myths seriously, and we are all members of the worldwide Gloranthaphile culture...

Sort-of-true-comment 4: I can participate in Gloranthan fiction; I have no interaction with the Second World War. Despite the fact that the Second World War was a huge event in which millions of people died, it has a limited effect on my life... the stories of the war have taught me some things that are useful in life, but not as many as Glorantha has or is going to, despite being a work of fiction. That's because it's very _good_ fiction, and it's living fiction.

These comments are not meant personally in any way, it's just the only thing I've felt strongly enough about and felt at all qualified to comment about in the past week or so.

Credit To:

Hasni for his comments on DI and HeroQuesting. I suspect you'd be more likely to get DI calls off people who worshipped aspects of your deity that you were particularly tuned into at the time. This would get amusing if you were HeroQuesting in one of the "common myth areas" of, say, Orlanth as a Sartarite and got a DI call from a Pentan, to WKW. If you were Orlanth in the "Slaying of Yelm" HeroQuest, would you get DI calls from Rebellous Terminous worshippers. Who do you get DI calls from if you're insane enough to do an "I Fought, We Won" HeroQuest? Every mortal? ;-)

Trotsky's notes on Father Christmas, which is a fine RW example of myth interaction for us to get our heads around.

Jane's cool and meaningful "masks" comments. Nice one, Jane. I agree 100% with that part...

Trotsky, Polling:

>While we're on the subject, I thought Alex's classification system was
>cool, and hereby declare myself to be an Agnostic Subjectivist. It's a pity
>Paul Chapman's Ob/Sub poll didn't use a multiple choice questionnaire like
>this (which of the following most closely resembles your view...?) it would
>have been more informative. Not that I'm getting at Paul, since I think this
>was far from obvious. Ho hum, live and learn.

Yup, you're right here. I realised this to be the case after getting about half of the replies, but it was too late to change then. My fear in giving a multiple-choice was that it would restrict peoples' answers and I didn't have the issues clear-cut enough to present the options properly; that was, after all, the point of the exercise from one angle. But after receiving many answers, it became clear that different people had different viewpoints on the meaning of "Subjective" and "Objective", making it a less-meaningful exercise.
Live and learn, as you say.

Frederic Ferro, about the Pharoah:

>1) Could Belinthar be a kind of GL survivor, three centuries
>after their downfall ?

What a fascinating idea. Given how Belinthar manipulated the Holy Country myths to become what he did, this seems entirely possible. Also, defeating the OOO could not have been easy and would IMO require some inventive HQing.

There was a theory that the Pharoah was a HeroQuester who screwed up somehow and fell out of his HeroQuest into the past. This is not mutually exclusive with your idea.

Nick Brooke had an idea that he was John Carter of Mars.... (as an off-topic note, you can get several John Carter books free in electronic format on the web, part of the Gutenberg project).

>2) Did the Lunars heroquest to stop the Reincarnation process
>or was there an "accident" ?

Both. From what I've heard they HQed it. This came up as a question in a HQ seminar with Greg, a transcript of which lies in the RQ Con Compendium, I believe. From what I remember, Jar-Eel and her cohorts entered the Pharoah's MOLAD HeroQuest as "The Red Guards" (an unknown part of the HQ that the Pharoah had to pass) and ambushed him there. A HeroQuest assassination!

        There was also a theory (Nick Brooke again, was it?) that Jar-Eel won a sort of beauty competition to determine who was to kill the Pharoah as part of the reincarnation process, and found a way to bring Final Death to him.

TTFN, Paul.