Change by Heroquest

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 13:12:27 +0100

Andrew recounts Sandy's example of a Grazer's Heroquest to protect Hippogriff from Zorak Zoran

> The result; _you_ have preserved _your_ horse from the Doom of
>Hippogriff. But all others horses remain the same.

There are, I believe two additional points here,

  1. Having now completed the HQ, you can teach it to others - obviously not everyone will succeed (or you wouldn't need to be a hero to do it...) but as more people do, it does become slightly easier. You have become a Cult Hero, and your Hero Cult all ride Hippogriffs. If All the grazers managed to complete the quest, they would all ride hippogriffs, although they would still remember a time when horses existed. (As in the LBQ, where Orlanth was able to end the Lesser & Greater Darkness by rescuing the Sun, but not prevent it). Likewise, if the trolls ever manage to lift the Curse of the Kin, it will not mean there were *never* any enlo, just there aren't any anymore.
  2. Working from something Greg was saying at, iirc, Convulsion 2, you have the choice of taking the benefits of your Heroquest for yourself, or sharing the benefits amongst your clan/cult/followers etc. where it becomes part of their heritage. The example he gave went something like:- Say you have Heroquested to recover some great weapon, like Humakts Unbreakable Sword, You can keep it, and be the toughest guy around, or dedicate it too your clan, who all gain, say +10% sword attack. Now run an adventure set, say 100 years in the future. If you kept the Sword then your ancestors have no benefit, but if you didn't then they have that "edge" over other characters.

The thought, at that time, I think was that Glorantha, the Game would run like Asimov's Foundation trilogy, Players would play Clans, and adventures might be seperated by generations, rather than the more traditional week in, week out (or for Pendragon, Year in, Year out) approach.

Under this approach, you don't get a hippogriff, just a slightly Tougher, hardier, stronger, faster, more intelligent or more magical horse, but, more importantly so does everyone else in your clan. again, other people can (try and) follow your Hero path, and, eventually, your horses may start breeding true Hippogriffs again.

| Tim Ellis           EMail tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk                      |
| Curiosity killed the cat - Why? What did it want to know?               |