Rebutting Mr. Laurie, sort of.

From: Erich Schmidt <siropal_at_concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 21:43:29 -0400

Observable events in Glorantha:
> Martin Laurie
>
> (1). The darkness
> (2). The dawn
> (3). The Sunstop
> (4). The rise of the Red Moon
> (5). The Closing
> (6). The Syndics ban
>
> These are facts. How they are interpreted is another
> matter.

I would add the explosion of the Spike, World Pillar, etc.

Of Martin's undeniable truth's I would change one bit. Orlanth has not changed over time, the *worship* of Orlanth has changed over time.

(snip)

(The mention of Arkat turning Humath to Humakt.)

That's neat. Where did you read this?

> (1). The Gods exist and will always exist, they simply
> don't exist as individuals. They are an expression of elemental
> and worshipful forces which in Glorantha is as real as it gets.

OK, so the Westerners are right... mostly

(snip)

> (4). Any use of these arguments to a Gloranthan is a sure sign
> of illumination or GLism and a quick ticket to getting killed.

Undoubtedly

(snip)

> So how do I run a game those of you who think that its impossible
> to run a game without knowing the objective truth?

(snip)

It's real easy to run a game without knowing the objective truth. I decide beforehand what the truth is. Orlanth, West King Wind, Worlath, Orlanatum, all the same entity. Elmal however is in fact a different god from Yelmalio although they do have similiar abillities.

The question is not how to run an character within his own culture. The question of "who is right" only becomes relevant when the character comes into contact with another culture that has a similar divinity.

In your example above on how Arkat subverted Lokamyadon's interdiction, I now know that the Humakt religion is wrong, it's missing a fundimental portion as the myth of Humakt severing his storm ties is false. Does it still "work"? Sure. Humath is a god of truth, death, and storm (I'm assuming at this point as I am not familliar with your reference)so if the rituals only focus on an aspect of a deity then they only get that aspect's power. You can only get Orlanth Thunderous magics from West King Wind.

Humath didn't change, the religion did. The people's method of requesting power changed, and since what they were asking for was different what they received was different. But, what they were asking for was still within their god's power to grant.

So, what's the point? What's the difference? Orlanth Thunderous rites work at West King Wind shrines because they're really *the same god*. Elmali rites *don't* work at Yelmalion shrines because their different. And someday a Humakti is going to come across an old book and realize that he has been missing out.

Erich Schmidt