a different tack...

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 21:46:11 -0800

        I was reading, on the weekend, the remarkable book 'Cosmic Trigger', by Robert Anton Wilson. He had quite a few things to say about the subjective/objective nature of OUR reality.

        Among other things, he recounted many religious visions that he had personally experienced, things that he subjectively felt where very true, and at the same time that he objectively understood to be the result of his consumption of psychedelic drugs, and his voluntary efforts to manipulate his own consciousness.

        He also discussed Aleister Crowley, who recommended (among other unusual experiments in consciousness), following the techniques of raja yoga / Ignatius Loyola of devotion to a/the deity, which he said would result in a religious experience if performed correctly. Where he differed from raja yoga/ Ignatius Loyola was that he said that once you had succeeded in a religious experience, you should immediately cease devotion to that deity, and choose a completely different one (from a different mythology, preferably) until you managed a second religious experience, and continue until you are thoroughly sceptical about religion.

        I have encountered no one in earthly writing who better fits the portrait of the Illuminate than this!

        Now, are Gloranthans (Illuminates/ God Learners) capable of thinking like these too gentlemen? I think so.

        Cheers

                David