re: Ralios; Orlanth Rebellious; Diet of Wyrms; PDP

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 23:31:18 -0700

Jose Ramos wrote

> You forget in Ralios two facts (all this is IMG): first only the
> Dark Empire descendants hate Nysalor, while many (even orlanthi) equate
> Arkat with Gbaji, who destroyed the Bright Empire, where everybody was
> happy.

Exactly. I think the Delelans equate Arkat with Gbaji the Destroyer.

> Hate lists (in approximate order):
>
> Delelans:
>
> - - Telmori
> - - Enemy delelan clans
> - - Trolls
> - - Naskorioni
> - - Other Arkati
> - - General westerners (Lunars will be here)
> - - Otkorioni

This is pretty close to the order I'd have come up with (obviously it varies by clan, the clans of the Riagos tribe hate Naskorion the most, eastern clans hate trolls more).

Chris Bell wondered

> On a related note, is their an Orlanth Rebellious cult, one that
> emphasizes Orlanth's rebellion against Yelm and the other Solar deties?
> Such a subcult could perhaps find purchase in the vast slave-farms of
> Peloria, methinks. Fonrit would be too far.

Firstly, as I think you've been told, there is no evidence for vast slave-farms in Peloria. Secondly, while I'm sure there are an abundance of Orlanth subcults, that one doesn't seem useful, either for this hypothetical situation, or in real life. Rebelling is hardly an everyday thing. Since there isn't such a cult in Sartar, where it would be most likely to be useful, it almost certainly doesn't exist. And slaves aren't rebelling against a tyrant, but rather an overlord. We have no myths that make Orlanth a slave.

> heard bad stories. I woud feel Ralians would be quite loathe to trust
> the Red Goddess, due to the Nysalor/Rashoran connection, and the
> circumstances surrounding the Red Moon's own birth (which in many ways
> were quite similar to Nysalor/Gbaji's.) as opposed to the Orlanth/Red
> Goddess conflict.

I feel Ralians are pretty clueless about the Red Goddess (especially in my campaign, which is some time before 1621). Also, Arkat met quite a lot of resistance in Ralios, since many of the Ralians were on the side of Nysalor!

And if the Lunars were at all clever, the fact that the Goddess was created by a Ring of seven people (just like Gbaji was created by a Theyalan-style Ring) would be a plus.

Clearly once the Hero Wars start, and as more information gets out about the Lunars, it's possible for individuals such as Ardinyar Kocholangsson to be persuaded to fight the Red Moon Empire. But it may be significant that he's from Lankst, not East Ralios.

> > I won't pretend to guess about Saird, but Aggar seems pretty Orlanthi.
> > Molanni is probably considered a traitor to them as well as to the
> > Sartarites.
>
> How so, Dave? In the Genertela Box, in the section of 'What the
> Priestess of the Red Moon tells me', Molanni is named as the 'healed
> Air'. Wouldn't those friendly to the Red Moon at least consider her
> friendly to Orlanth's pantheon in Aggar, or is this a local mythic
> thing?

Well, given how unimportant Molanni is to the Orlanthi, the Aggari may well have accepted a Lunar myth of her reconciliation with her uncle.

An announcement and call for help:

Thanks to Sandy Petersen calling me a Wyrm's Friend, I will be running a mini-LARP at Glorantha-Con V in Victoria. It's called "Diet of Wyrms," since most of the characters will be representatives of that august body. Others will probably include the Dara Happan Ambassador, the Pure Horse King, and the Only Old One. I'd be interested to know how many people would like to play. Also, anyone who has obscure information or wild theories on the EWF should contact me (and let me know if you're planning on playing). Thanks.

And another announcement: I have basically completed the layout of the PenDragon Pass rules, which will be enclosed in Enclosure, the booklet for Glorantha-Con V. They'll be illustrated, not only with some great art, but with examples from Jeff Richard's Taming of Dragon Pass setting (which is essentially the campaign I set out to create 10 years ago).