The discreet charm of the Objectivists

From: Mystic Musk Ox <mab_at_sdc1.bnsc.rl.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 10:50:25 GMT

It has occurred to me that the whole business of a objective/subjective Glorantha is in fact reflected itself in the debate about it:

Theoretically, anyway, foir each of us there is a "True Glorantha" - or a
"Real Glorantha" if you like - an Amber, of which all other Gloranthas are
but shadows...it doesn't matter that no-one actually has a definition of this
"Amber-Glorantha", the concept is still there I guess. Now normally this
doesn't matter, if my perception of the "True Glorantha" differs from yours, then fine, we can get along, run our games, decide our own truths etc,etc.

The difficulty arises, as in most cases, at the interface. If we (for some reason) need or want to agree something about our "Shadow-Gloranthas", then our arguments are based on all sorts of undefinable causes (what we read last, what we internally like in our fantasy games, what we had for breakfast, etc,etc). If we can agree, then fine. If we can't, then what happens? Well normally there is a bit of flaming or sniping or ignoring, or goodwill being exchanged, we go off and still run our games...no real problem. The difficulty arises when, as in Glorantha, we can't do that, but _must_ resolve what happens. In our world, well you can stop playing in the campaign. The people of Glorantha can't do that. Therefore they must resolve these differences somehow, whether it is by war, suppression, acceptance, indifference...

I can't believe that given two cultures, say both Sun worshippers who come into contact, would blithely just say "Oh well, those guys over there worship a different Sun to me", and then leave it at that, knowing full well that they are right, even though the other guys spells, priests, DI's etc, all still seem to work. How do those two cultures explain this? Human nature, it seems to me, would seek to find some explanation and centre ground. It's this, I think, that I would like to see defined in some way. I know that in my game I can make it up, fine, but that argument can be extended infinitely, so that in the end I may as well make up my own world, history, myths, legends etc,etc.

cheers,

Mark, who thinks perhaps he needs a lie down...