Spirit Hunting - Learning Spells

From: Dave Bailey <db_at_uk.hboc.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 13:30:27 +0100

To paraphrase ( I'll try not to put words in mouths) it seems we have a = broad agreement that the following is true
  1. The summon spell spirit/ beat it spirit combat is a game mechanic and = therefore open to some *intepretation*
  2. The *interpretation* is that different cultures deal with the = situation in a different fashion.

The problem is whether cults summon spirit with INT or not? I like the = idea of the Pentian Shaman taming the horse but my approach was more = obvious like a Bison Shaman chasing away Hyena with fire and returning = with the Hyena dung to smear it over the body to impart Demoralise. My = question here is what benefit would you get from taming the Horse?

I don't see that having INT is a problem beyond that fact that it = doesn't stick to the letter of the rules. I like the idea of a minor = avatar or cult hero being called when it comes to learning major spells. = Mechanically it's as simple as the spirits POW being proportional to the = strength of the spell, the spirit combat part is only a mechanic. I = would argue that a pious worshiper/shamanic follower is more likely to = get an easy spirit to beat especially when it comes to getting hold of a = lower level spell. On the other hand if you're just using the cult then = the shaman or priest is more likely to use a tougher spirit.

Cults like Humakt have organisation and meaning throughout whatever they = do, therefore if they summon a spirit to teach a spell then I see no = reason why it shouldn't be recognised, named and historically known. It = may be that throughout a Swords career his ancestors who are in the cult = will be summoned to test him and if found worthy he will have the power = handed down to him. In this case his grandfather Oleius Nineblade is = summoned to pronounced judgement on his grandson who may be ready to = receive Bladesharpe 4 if his weapon Kata is up to scratch and he knows = the prayer of Four Blades. I'm taking the spirit combat to be abstract = and I'm interested in practical tests.

If you're interested in developing this further I'm happy to compile a = list of such tests for spells and cultures if you E-Mail me with ideas. = It would be nice to add a little practical fact on minor ceremonies for = day to day play.

What do you think? How do other people deal with this or do they gloss = over it to get to the meaty bits in an adventure?

Dave, now who do I know with Ars Magica?