Misc stuff

From: Andrew Joelson <joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 08:01:40 -0500

Hasni/Rich:

        An interesting question about DI while HeroQuesting. My take on this is that when I am Questing to follow a path of my god, I sort of merge with him. I project myself into the GodPlane, and Orlanth (in this case), is projected into me. If somebody asks for DI while this is occuring, I/we answer. That is, Orlanth answers (or not), and the part of me that is merged with him answers too.

Alex:

        Your 1 - 5 classification system left out #6, the Faceted Objectivists. Such people (I am one), think that the gods are immense beings beyond full understanding. Mortals end up getting a look at only part of the god, and worship him accordingly. I believe the old chestnut about blind men and the elephant has been brought up as an example of this. So Orlanth and King West Wind are two different ways of looking at the same guy.

        As far as the effects on actual gloranthans is concerned, this looks pretty much the same as Martin Laurie's stance. Both theories account for the same details, and neither can be used to invalidate the other.

Paul Chapman:
> There was also a theory (Nick Brooke again, was it?) that Jar-Eel won
> a sort of beauty competition to determine who was to kill the Pharoah
> as part of the reincarnation process, and found a way to bring Final
> Death to him.

        I can understand that Jar-Eel would win a beauty competition, what I can't figure out is who would have the nerve and pulchritude to try competing against her...

        Generally, I discount this idea. This sound more like the sort of task that the Imperial Council decided should be attempted, then assigned to Jar-Eel 'cause who else could do it?

Owen Jones asks about Bjork & Bjorn:
> Two Humakti, Bjork from Ralios and Bjorn from Sartar.....Bjork thinks
> he should rush to Orlanth's aid as Humakt is Orlanth's kin.

        ? I was under the impresssion that Humath (Ralian Humakt) was also severed from Orlanth. This occured when Arkat came through, and Quested to separate the two. Then Humakt, and the severence aspect, were carried through to Dragon Pass.....

        This comes (I think) from the Broken Council and the design notes of 'what things looked like then'. These notes were drafted as part of the subtext for writing tBC, and are not generally availble, but some parts of them (like Humath/Humakt) have been raked over here on the Digest.

Bjork/Bjokn conversion:

        Continuing with the question, I would say that if one of them converted, case a) is out. Converting all the supporters back home would require an HQ with that effect as it's goal. The probable result would depend on the relevance of the kinship/severance question to the main goal of the Quest. If it's peripheal, then go with b) when he returns he solomnly declares his revelation... If it's a major part of the Quest, then go with c) he realise they don't get it when their support leaves him.....

                Andrew