DarkRadar, Xenophobic Lunars.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 15:47:47 +0100 (BST)

James Frusetta has:
> Two quick Darksense notes:
> * If a troll can see if someone's preggers, what can they tell about the
> babies? [...] I'm not sure when the Curse sets in, too -- at conception?

I dunno, precisely, but "multiple births" must set in decidely early on. If detection was as easy as previous suggestions would imply, your friendly neighbourhood XU priestess would help you abort all multiple pregnancies ASAP, half-solving the Curse at a stroke. This fairly clearly doesn't occur, so far as I can see. The idea of, say, a rune magic level effect to be able to determine this would seem much more reasonable, as it would at least involve a cost to this manifest benefit.

> * Re: Alex's comments on concealment above. Heh, heh. IMO, many humans
> don't have a clue how to conceal themselves from trolls anyway.

Pardon my vagueness, I didn't mean Hide (self), I meant Conceal (object). Say I want to assassinate some troll or other, and hide a weapon under my clothes. Troll spots it 50 yards away with his X-ray Darksense, and runs off to his Mommy. Boring, boring, Sidney.

I suspect this literalistic notion of DS has all sorts of other Very Silly consequences no-one's been shameless to think up yet. Overall, I'm Skeptical.

Jamuz risks a trip to the Heartland:
> But on the other hand, the Lunars will probably forbid Dara Happan Yelm
> fanatics from lynching me.

Well, YlegalpositionMV, depending on just where and how you found yourself in the empire, but don't forget that a large proportion of Lunars _are_ Dara Happan maniacs, or strongly influenced thereby. The typical gut reaction of a lowlander to a Dijidelm Monster is on roughly the same order as a Sartarite would feel about a Scorpion Man.

Slainte,
Alex.